Nursing Takes Part in Alabama State Informational IPE Visit Ahead of UF SHPEP
University of Florida Health and the six UF Health colleges are set to host a pilot of the Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) in Gainesville starting in May. SHPEP is a free summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for underrepresented students interested in the health professions, in order to prepare them for successful application and matriculation to health professions schools.
While UF prepares to host its first SHPEP class of students May 22-June 30, efforts across the six UF Health colleges continue to educate potential program participants about UF SHPEP, and the Health Sciences Center at the University of Florida.
On March 30, the UF colleges of medicine, nursing, dentistry and public health & health professions played host to Alabama State’s BioMed Club to educate the group on the work of, and education behind, each profession.
Frank Catalanotto, D.M.D., professor in the UF Department of Community Dentistry and Behavioral Science, and Takeshia Pierre, M.P.H., coordinator of UF’s SHPEP program, played host to the club, which had a full day of presentations and tours.
The ASU BioMed Club traveled to Gainesville from Montgomery, Alabama, and upon arriving on campus had a day full of programming to learn about all the UF Health colleges have to offer.
Alabama State’s itinerary included educational presentations from:
- Pam Sandow, D.M.D., Clinical Professor and Assistant Dean for Admissions & Abel Gilbert, Outreach & Recruitment Specialist | College of Dentistry
- Amy Blue, Ph.D., Clinical Professor, Associate Dean for Educational Affairs and Associate Vice President for Interprofessional Education at UF Health | College of Public Health & Health Professions
- Pamela Patton, P.A., M.S.P, William M. Hall Associate Professor and Director of Admissions | School of Physician Assistant Studies in College of Medicine
- Donna Parker, M.D., Assistant Professor and Assistant Dean for Diversity and Equity | College of Medicine
- Kim Curry, Ph.D., A.R.N.P., F.A.A.N.P., Associate Dean for Student Affairs | College of Nursing
- Patricia Xirau-Probert, Ph.D., Assistant Clinical Professor, Assistant Dean of Students & Multicultural Affairs and Director, UF SHPEP
The visit wrapped up specialized tours at the colleges of nursing, dentistry and medicine, along with exposure to the physician assistant program.
If you are interested in coordinating a similar tour for your group, please contact:
Takeshia Pierre, M.P.H.
SHPEP Program Coordinator
Phone: (352) 294-8685
Email: tpierre@ dental.ufl.edu
For more information on UF SHPEP, visit UF SHPEP online.