UF College of Nursing Strategic Plan
The University of Florida College of Nursing was founded in 1956 as one of the first two colleges of the J. Hillis Miller Health Center. The College has a rich history of leadership in the state of Florida and nation with its dynamic and innovative educational programs, research, and clinical practice. This strategic plan reflects our commitment to achieving the purposes of the College of Nursing to:
- Generate and disseminate knowledge
- Produce leaders who advance the nursing profession
- Improve the quality of health care
The College aspires to be a model of excellence, recognized nationally and internationally, for innovative education, dynamic programs of research, and creative approaches to practice.
Built on Dean Smith’s vision and committed to achieving our tri-partite mission, the college is well positioned to continue leading the state and nation with its dynamic and innovative educational programs, research, and clinical practice. As a public institution, we seek to optimize our resources and improve our operations to fulfill our social contract to the citizens of the state of Florida, the nation, and the world.
Create and sustain an organizational culture that enables all constituents to care, lead, and inspire
- Create a dynamic administrative model to support sound, transparent, and mission-focused decision making
- Recruit, develop, retain, and support mission-focused faculty and staff
- Sustain and build College of Nursing financial resources to support teaching, research, and clinical practice
- Maximize efficiencies and integration across the missions
- Enable faculty to focus their time on being highly productive in their core academic activities
- Increase development and philanthropic gifts to support academic, research, and clinical missions
- Enhance visibility of the college, including our identity and the unique contributions of faculty, staff, students, and alumni, as it relates to research, education, and practice
- Establish a comprehensive program to enhance awareness and dialogue about diversity and inclusiveness within College of Nursing
The CON faculty as a unified body is committed to delivering nationally recognized nursing education programs to prepare graduates to lead in practice, education and scholarship
Prepare graduates who provide excellent nursing care through the use of evidence-based teaching strategies
- Create innovative, efficient, and integrative models for clinical education
- Recruit, retain, and advance a diverse faculty committed to the scholarship of teaching and learning
- Develop and implement educational programs to meet the needs for a well-prepared nursing work force, including nurse scientists and educators
- Strengthen current interprofessional education clinical learning activities to incorporate all levels and Health Science Center colleges
- Develop and implement interprofessional education courses for Health Science Center academic programs in collaboration with other HSC colleges
- Increase use of simulation across programs and curricula in the College of Nursing
The CON is committed to enhancing our leadership in research that improves quality of life for individuals and families, promotes population health, and has an impact on nursing practice.
Improve health and advance nursing science through innovative programs of research
- Strengthen research infrastructure
- Explore alternative research funding streams
- Strengthen collaborations with Health Science Center (including Jacksonville campus) and other UF colleges
- Build relationships with research/practice partners through joint appointments and research team participation
- Develop faculty expertise in teaching and clinical scholarship
The college is dedicated to providing excellent nursing care and influencing evidence-based practice. We strive to develop, implement, and evaluate innovative models of nursing practice that generate value through revenue, scholarship, and social impact.
Provide high quality health care to vulnerable populations through innovative, advanced nursing practice models
- Explore new practice revenue streams such as innovative clinical services, consultations, grant funding and clinical contracts
- Expand Archer Family Health Care clinical services in critical need areas
- Increase joint appointments for College of Nursing faculty
- Expand integration of Archer Family Health Care into the College’s academic and research missions
*Approved by the Faculty- June 20, 2014
Excellence in Education, Research and Service
The University of Florida, the state’s oldest and most comprehensive higher education institution, is one of the best public research universities in the United States. Consistent with the university’s position of national preeminence, the College of Nursing has the tri-partite mission of teaching, research, and service. The College of Nursing faculty is united in our commitment to maintaining our reputation for excellence in academic programs at all levels; enhancing our leadership in research that improves quality of life for individuals and families, promotes population health, and has an impact on nursing practice; and providing excellent nursing care and influencing evidence-based practice.