Amanda Elliott, PhD, MSN, BSN
Research Assistant Professor
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Elliott’s primary research interests are in the area of sensory impairments in older adults. Specifically, she is interested in the role of pain, cognition, and vision on functional outcomes in older adults in a variety of residential settings. Elliott collaborates with colleagues on a variety of research projects lending expertise in vision-related and cognitive explorations.
Areas of Expertise
- Vision in Older Adults
- Cognitive Performance in Older Adults
- Pain Assessment in Older Adults
Dr. Elliott is a triple graduate of the University of Florida College of Nursing. She earned her BSN, MSN and doctorate degrees from the University of Florida.
- D’Aoust, R., Rossiter, A., Elliott, A. F., Ji, M., Lengacher, C., & Goer, M. (2017). Women veterans and fibromyalgia: Risks and clinical implications. Military Medicine, 182(7), e1828-e1835.
- McMillan, S. C., Rodriguez, C. S., Wang, H., Elliott, A. F. (2016). Symptom occurrence and symptom distress reported by patients with cancers of the head and neck. Journal of the Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Nursing, 34(4), 10-15.
- Athilingam, P., Labrador, M. A., Remo, E. F., Mack, L., San Juan, A. B., & Elliott, A. F., (2016). Features and usability assessment of a patient-centered mobile application (HeartMapp) for self-management of heart failure. Applied Nursing Research, 32, 156-163.
- Wang, H., Ji, M., Visovsky, C., Rodriguez, C. S., Elliott, A. F., Gwede, C. K., Padhya, T., & McMillan, S. C. (2016). Clinically relevant four-level cancer-related fatigue among patients with various types of cancer. Journal of the Advanced Practitioner in Oncology, 7(1), 23-37.
- Maguire, D. P., Rowe, M. A., Spring, H., & Elliott, A. F. (2015). Disruptive feeding behaviors of infants with neonatal abstinence syndrome. Advances in Neonatal Care, 15(6), 429-439.
- Elliott, A. F., McGwin G., Kline, L. & Owsley, C. (2015). Vision impairment among seniors residing in subsidized housing. The Gerontologist, 55(S1), S108-S117.
- McMillan, S. C., Rodriguez, C. S., Wang, H., Elliott, A. F. (2015). Issues faced by family caregivers of Hospice patients with head and neck cancers. Journal of the Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Nursing, 33(2), 8-13.
- Athilingam, P., Visovsky, C., Elliott, A. F., & Rogal, P. J. (2015). Cognitive screening in persons with chronic diseases in primary care: Challenges and recommendations for practice. American Journal of Alzheimers Disease & Other Dementias, Epub ahead of print March 20th, 2015.
- Elliott, A. F., O’Connor M. L., & Edwards J. D. (2014). Cognitive speed of processing training in older adults with eye conditions. Ophthalmic & Physiological Optics, 34, 509-518. doi: 10.1111/opo.12148
- Elliott, A. F., McGwin, G., & Owsley, C. (2013). Vision impairment among older adults residing in assisted living. Journal of Aging and Health, 25(2), 364-378.
- Crews, J., Lollar, D., Kemper, A., Lee, L., Owsely, C., Zhang, X., Elliott, A., Chou, C. F., & Saaddine, J. (2012). The variability of vision loss assessment in federally sponsored surveys: Seeking conceptual clarity and comparability. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 154(6), S31-S44.
- Chou, C.., Barker, L.., Crews, J., Primo, S., Zhang, X., Elliott, A., McKeever Bullard, K., Geiss, L., & Saaddine, J. (2012). Disparities in eye care utilization among U. S. adults with visual impairment: Findings from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System 2006-2009. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 154(6), 45-52.
- Zhang, X., Cotch M. F., Ryskulova A., Primo, S., Nair, P., Chou C., Geiss, L., Barker, L., Elliott, A., Crews, J., & Saaddine, J. (2012). Vision health disparities in the United States by race/ethnicity, education, and economic status: Findings from two nationally representative surveys. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 154(6), 53-62.
- Elliott, A.F., Davidson, A., Lum, F., Chiang, M., Saaddine, J., Zhang, X., Crews, J., & Chou, C. (2012). Using electronic health records and administrative data for public health surveillance of eye health and vision-related conditions in the United States. American Journal of Ophthalmology, 154(6), S63-70.
- Li, Y., Crews, J., Elam-Evans, L., Fan, A., Zhang, X., Elliott, A., & Balluz, L. (2011). Visual impairment and health-related quality of life among elderly adults with age-related eye diseases. Quality of Life Research, 20(6), 845-852.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2010). Eye-care utilization among women aged ≥40 years with eye diseases—19 states, 2006-2008. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 59(19), 588-591.
- Luo, H., Fang, X., Liao, Y., Elliott, A., & Zhang, X. (2010). Associations of special care units and outcomes of residents with dementia: 2004 National Nursing Home Survey. The Gerontologist, 50(4), 509-518.
- Elliott, A. F., Dreer, L., McGwin, G., & Owsley C. (2010). The personal burden of decreased vision-targeted health-related quality of life in nursing home residents. Journal of Aging and Health, 22(4), 504-521.
- Elliott, A. F., Burgio, L. D., & DeCoster, J. (2010). Enhancing caregiver health: Findings from the Resources for Enhancing Alzheimer’s Caregiver Health (REACH) II Intervention. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58(1), 30-37.
- Swanson M., McGwin, G., Elliott, A. F., & Owsley, C. (2009). Association between the nursing home Minimum Data Set (MDS) for vision and vision-targeted health-related quality of life in nursing home residents as assessed by certified nursing assistants. Journal of Optometry, 2, 148-154.
- Elliott, A. F., & Horgas, A. L. (2009). Effects of an analgesic trial in reducing pain behaviors in community-dwelling older adults with dementia. Nursing Research, 58 (2), 140-145.
- Swanson, M., McGwin, G., Elliott, A. F., & Owsley, C. (2009). The nursing home Minimum Data Set for vision and its association with visual acuity and contrast sensitivity. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57(3), 486-491.
- Elliott, A. F., McGwin, G., & Owsley, C. (2009). Vision-enhancing interventions in nursing home residents and their short-term impact on physical and cognitive function. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57(2), 202-208.
- Elliott, A. F., McGwin, G., & Owsley, C. (2009). Health-related quality of life and visual and cognitive impairment among nursing home residents. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 93, 240-243.
- Horgas, A. L., Elliott, A. F., & Marsiske, M. (2009). Pain assessment in persons with dementia: Relationship between self-report and behavioral observation. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57(1), 126-132.
- Horgas, A. L., & Elliott, A. F. (2009). Study of pain over the last several decades: Main pain measurement tools. In D. Carr (Ed.), Encyclopedia of the Life Course of Human Development, Vol. 3. (pp. 286-288). Detroit: MacMillan Reference USA.
- Horgas, A. L., & Elliott, A. F. (2009). Pain: Acute and chronic. In D. Carr (Ed.), Encyclopedia of the Life Course of Human Development. Detroit: MacMillan Reference USA.
- Elliott, A. F., Horgas, A. L., & Marsiske, M. (2008). Nurses’ role in identifying mild cognitive impairment in older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 29(1), 38-47.
- Horgas, A. L., Elliott, A. F., Rodriguez, C. (2007). Pain assessment instruments. In E. Capezuti, G. Siegler, & M. D. Mezey (Eds.), The encyclopedia of elder care (2nd ed.) (pp. 600-602). New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Horgas, A. L., & Floetke, A. L. (2005). Book Reviews- Internet resources for nurses (2nd ed.). International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 61(1), 77.
- Horgas, A. L., Elliott, A. F. (2004). Pain assessment and management in persons with dementia. Nursing Clinics of North America, 39(3), 593-606.
- Horgas, A. L., McLennon, S. M, & Floetke, A., L. (2003). Pain management in persons with dementia, Alzheimer’s Care Quarterly, 4(4), 297-311.