Ann Horgas, PhD, RN, FAAN
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Horgas teaches theory, research, and statistics to graduate students in the PhD and DNP programs. She supervises PhD dissertations and undergraduate honor student and scholar projects.
Dr. Horgas conducts research on pain and aging. She has been funded by NIA to study cognitive interventions for older adults (ACTIVE Trial) and by NINR to investigate pain in nursing home residents with dementia. Currently, she is funded by the Florida Department of Health to conduct an analytic trial to reduce pain and behavioral expressions in older adults with dementia.
Dr. Horgas is a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and the Gerontological Society of America. She is a member of the American Pain Society, Sigma Theta Tau International, Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing Association, and the Southern Nursing Research Society. She chairs and serves on many committees in the CON, UF and national organizations.
Area of Expertise
Pain and symptom management in dementia and aging
Dr. Horgas received her BS in Nursing, MS in Adult Health Nursing and PhD in Human Development and Family Studies from The Pennsylvania State University. She completed a Post-doctoral Fellowship in Gerontology and Geriatrics at the Free University of Berlin.
- Hartjes, T.M., Meece, L., & Horgas, A.L. (in press). Implementing palliative care in the ICU. Nursing Critical Care.
- Morrissey, M.B., Horgas, A.L., Miller, E.A., & Wiener, J.M. (2014). An interdisciplinary look at the potential of policy to improve the health of an aging America: Focus on pain. Washington, DC: The Gerontological Society of America.
- Ahn, H., & Horgas, A. (2013). Management of disruptive behaviors in nursing home residents with dementia: Optimizing outcomes. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management. 20 (12), 566-576.
- Ahn, H., & Horgas, A. (2013). The relationship between pain and disruptive behaviors in Florida nursing home residents with dementia. BMC Geriatrics, 13, 14. doi: 10.1186/1471-2318-13-14.
- Ahn, H., Stechmiller, J., & Horgas, A. (2013). Pressure ulcer related pain in nursing home residents with cognitive impairment. Advances in Skin & Wound Care, 26(8), 375-380. doi: 0.1097/01.ASW.0000432050.51725.51
- Glover, T.L., Goodin, B.R., Horgas, A.L., Kindler, L.L., King, C.D., Sibille, K.T., Peloquin, C.A., Riley, III, J.R., Staud, R., Bradley, L.A., & Fillingim, R.B. (2012). Vitamin D, race, and experimental pain sensitivity in older adults with knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatism, 64(12), 3926-3935. DOI 10.1002/art.37687
- Elliott, A. F., & Horgas, A. L. (2009). Effects of an analgesic trial in reducing chronic pain behaviors in community-dwelling persons with dementia. Nursing Research, 59 (2), 140-145.
- Horgas, A. L., Floetke, A. L., & Marsiske, M. (2009). Assessing pain in cognitively impaired elders: Relationship between self-report and behavioral observations. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57 (1), 126-132.
- Horgas, A. L., & Elliott, A. F. (2009). Study of pain over the last several decades: Main pain measurement tools. In D. Carr (Ed.), Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development, Vol. 3. (286-288). Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Classen, S., Horgas, A., Awadzi, K., Messinger-Rapport, B.M., Shechtman, O., & Joo, Y. (2008). Clinical predictors of older driver performance on a standardized road test. Traffic Injury Prevention. 9 (5), 456-462.
- Elliott, A. F., Horgas, A. L., & Marsiske, M. (2008). Nurses’ role in identifying mild cognitive impairment in older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 29 (1), 38-47.
- Horgas, A. L., & Miller, L. A. (2008). Pain assessment in persons with dementia. American Journal of Nursing, 108 (7), 62-70.
- Horgas, A. L., Yoon, S. L., Nichols, A. L., & Marsiske, M. (2008). The relationship between pain and functional disability in black and white older adults. Research in Nursing and Health, 31 (4), 341-54.
- Horgas, A. L., Nichols, A. L., Schapson, C. A., & Vieites, K. (2007). Assessing pain in persons with dementia: Relationships between the NOPPAIN, self-report, and behavioral observations. Pain Management Nursing, 8, 77-85.
- Casselberry, J. & Horgas, A. L. (2006). Facial expressions of pain in elderly adults with dementia. Journal of Undergraduate Research, 7 (4), Article 200603. Retrieved April 2006, http://www.clas.ufl.edu/jur/200603/.
- Horgas, A. L., & Elliott, A. F. (2004). Pain assessment and management in persons with dementia. Nursing Clinics of North America, 39 (3), 593-606.
- Dunn, K., & Horgas, A. L. (2004). Religious and non-religious coping in elderly adults experiencing chronic pain. Pain Management Nursing, 5 (1), 19-28
- Horgas, A. L. (2003). Pain management in elderly adults. Journal of Infusion Nursing, 26, 161-165.
- Horgas, A. L. (2003). Assessing pain in persons with dementia. Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, Division of Nursing, New York, 1(2).
- Horgas, A. L., McLennon, S., & Floetke, A. (2003). Pain management in persons with dementia. Alzheimer’s Care Quarterly, 4 (4), 297-311.
- Gallo, J. J., Rebok, G. W., Tennstedt, S., Wadley, V. G., & Horgas, A. (2003). Linking depressive symptoms and functional disability in late life. Aging and Mental Health, 7 (6), 469-480.
- Horgas, A. L., & Margrett, J. A. (2001). Measuring behavioral and mood disruptions in nursing home residents using the Minimum Data Set. Outcomes Management for Nursing Practice, 5, 28-35.
- Horgas, A. L., & Dunn, K. (2001). Pain in nursing home residents: Comparison of residents’ self-report and nursing assistants’ perceptions. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 27 (3), 44-53.
- Horgas, A. L., & Tsai, P. F. (1998). Analgesic drug prescription and use in cognitively impaired nursing home residents. Nursing Research, 47, 235-242.
- Horgas, A. L., Wilms, H. U., & Baltes, M. M. (1998). Daily life in very old age: Everyday activities as an expression of successful living. The Gerontologist, 38, 556-568.