Ann Horgas, PhD, RN, FAAN
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Horgas teaches research to undergraduate and graduate students and theory to PhD students.
Dr. Horgas conducts research on aging, with a focus on pain management in persons with dementia. She completed a Post Doctoral Fellowship in Psychological Gerontology at the Free University of Berlin. She is currently funded by the National Institute on Aging to study cognitive interventions for older adults, and recently completed an NINR-funded study of pain assessment in nursing home residents.
Dr. Horgas is a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing, the Gerontological Society of America, and a member of the Florida Nurses Association and the Southern Nursing Research Society. She has been the recipient of the Southern Nursing Research Society Hartford Institute Geriatric Nursing Award, Springer Award for Geriatric/Gerontological Nursing, the Harriet H. Werley New Investigator Award, Midwest Nursing Research Society, and the Nightingale Award for Excellence in Nursing Research.
Dr. Horgas received her BS in Nursing, MS in Adult Health Nursing and PhD in Human Development and Family Studies at Pennsylvania State University.
- Horgas, A. L., & Tsai, P. F. (1998). Analgesic drug prescription and use in cognitively impaired nursing home residents. Nursing Research, 47, 235-242.
- Horgas, A. L., & Dunn, K. (2001). Pain in nursing home residents: Comparison of residents’ self-report and nursing assistants’ perceptions. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 27 (3), 44-53.
- Horgas, A. L. (2003). Pain management in elderly adults. Journal of Infusion Nursing, 26, 161-165.
- Horgas, A. L. (2003). Assessing pain in persons with dementia. Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, Division of Nursing, New York, 1(2).
- Horgas, A. L., McLennon, S., & Floetke, A. (2003). Pain management in persons with dementia. Alzheimer’s Care Quarterly, 4 (4), 297-311.
- Horgas, A. L., & Elliott, A. F. (2004). Pain assessment and management in persons with dementia. Nursing Clinics of North America, 39 (3), 593-606.
- Casselberry, J. & Horgas, A. L. (2006). Facial expressions of pain in elderly adults with dementia. Journal of Undergraduate Research, 7 (4), Article 200603. Retrieved April 2006, http://www.clas.ufl.edu/jur/200603/.
- Horgas, A. L., Nichols, A. L., Schapson, C. A., & Vieites, K. (2007). Assessing pain in persons with dementia: Relationships between the NOPPAIN, self-report, and behavioral observations. Pain Management Nursing, 8, 77-85.
- Horgas, A. L., & Yoon, S. L. (2008). Pain management. In E. Capezuti, D. Zwicker, M. Mezey & T. Fulmer, (Eds.), Evidence-based Geriatric Nursing Protocols for Best Practice (3rd ed.) (pp. 199-222). New York: Springer.
- Horgas, A. L., Elliott, A. F., & Rodriguez, C. (2008). Pain assessment instruments. In E. A. Capezuti, E. L. Siegler, & M. D. Mezey, M.D. (Eds.), The Encyclopedia of Elder Care (2nd ed.) (pp. 600-603). New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Elliott, A. F., Horgas, A. L., & Marsiske, M. (2008). Nurses’ role in identifying mild cognitive impairment in older adults. Geriatric Nursing, 29 (1), 38-47.
- Horgas, A. L., & Miller, L. A. (2008). Pain assessment in persons with dementia. American Journal of Nursing, 108 (7), 62-70.
- Horgas, A. L., Yoon, S. L., Nichols, A. L., & Marsiske, M. (2008). The relationship between pain and functional disability in black and white older adults. Research in Nursing and Health, 31 (4), 341-54.
- Elliott, A. F., & Horgas, A. L. (2009). Effects of an analgesic trial in reducing chronic pain behaviors in community-dwelling persons with dementia. Nursing Research, 59 (2), 140-145.
- Horgas, A. L., Floetke, A. L., & Marsiske, M. (2009). Assessing pain in cognitively impaired elders: Relationship between self-report and behavioral observations. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57 (1), 126-132.
- Horgas, A. L., &Elliott, A. F. (2009). Study of pain over the last several decades: Main pain measurement tools. In D. Carr (Ed.), Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development, Vol. 3. (286-288). Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA.
Additional recent publications of important to the field (selected)
- Horgas, A. L., Wahl, H. W., & Baltes, M. M. (1996). Dependency in late life. In L. L. Carstensen, B. A. Edelstein, & L. Dornbrand (Eds.), The practical handbook of clinical gerontology (pp. 54-75). Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- Linden, M., Horgas, A. L., Gilberg, R., & Steinhagen-Thiessen, E. (1997). Predicting health care utilization: The role of physical health, mental health, attitudinal, and social factors. Journal of Aging and Health, 9, 3-27.
- Baltes, M. M., & Horgas, A. L. (1997). Long-term care institutions and the maintenance of competence. In S. L. Willis, K. W. Schaie, & M. Hayward (Eds.), Societal mechanisms for maintaining competence in old age (pp. 142-164). New York: Springer.
- Horgas, A. L., Wilms, H. U., & Baltes, M. M. (1998). Daily life in very old age: Everyday activities as an expression of successful living. The Gerontologist, 38, 556-568.
- Baltes, M. M., Freund, A., & Horgas, A. L. (1999). Men and women in the Berlin Aging Study. In P. B. Baltes & K. U. Mayer (Eds.), The Berlin Aging Study: Aging from 70 to 100 (pp. 259-281). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Horgas, A. L., & Margrett, J. A. (2001). Measuring behavioral and mood disruptions in nursing home residents using the Minimum Data Set. Outcomes Management for Nursing Practice, 5, 28-35.
- Jenkins, K.R., Pienta, A. M., & Horgas, A. L., (2002). Activity and health-related quality of life in continuing care retirement communities. Research on Aging, 24, 124-149.
- Gallo, J. J., Rebok, G. W., Tennstedt, S., Wadley, V. G., & Horgas, A. (2003). Linking depressive symptoms and functional disability in late life. Aging and Mental Health, 7 (6), 469-480.
- Dunn, K., & Horgas, A. L. (2004). Religious and non-religious coping in elderly adults experiencing chronic pain. Pain Management Nursing, 5 (1), 19-28.
- Horgas, A. L., & Abowd, G. (2004). The impact of technology on living environments for older adults. In R. Pew & S. Van Hemel (Eds.), Technology for Adaptive Aging: Report and Papers. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Diehl, M., Marsiske, M., Horgas, A. L., Rosenberg, A., Saczynski, J., & Willis, S. W. (2005). The Revised Observed Tasks of Daily Living: A performance-based assessment of everyday problem solving in older adults. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 24 (3), 211-230.
- Classen, S., Horgas, A., Awadzi, K., Messinger-Rapport, B.M., Shechtman, O., & Joo, Y. (2008). Clinical predictors of older driver performance on a standardized road test. Traffic Injury Prevention. 9 (5), 456-462.