Carmen Rodriguez, PhD, ARNP
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Rodriguez teaches clinical and didactic courses for undergraduate and graduate students in medical-surgical nursing, adult health advanced practice, and oncology nursing.
Dr. Rodriguez’s research interest is centered on the pain management needs of older patients with a speech impairment that limits self-reporting of pain and other cirtical symptoms during the immediate post-operative period.
Dr. Rodriguez serves on the Faculty Practice Committee of the CON Faculty Organization. She is a member of the Florida Nurses Association, the Oncology Nursing Society, the Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society , and the Hispanic Nurses Association.
Clinical practice area/expertise
Dr. Rodriguez’s area of clinical practice is currently associated with adult oncology nursing specific to the needs of the head and neck cancer patient. Her advanced practice background is also associated with clinical experiences as an Adult Nurse Practitioner across health care settings.
Dr. Rodriguez received her BSN in Nursing at the University of Puerto Rico. She received her MSN in Adult Health Nursing and her MBA in Business at the University of Miami. She received her PhD in Adult Health at the University of South Florida.
- Rodriguez, C. S., McMillan S., & Yarandi, H. (2004). Pain measurement in older adults with head and neck cancer and communication impairments. Cancer Nursing, 27(6), 425-433. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-2.3.1/ovidweb.cgi
- Rodriguez, C.S. & VanCott, M.L. (2005). Speech impairment in the post-operative head and neck cancer patient: Nurses and patients’ perceptions. Qualitative Health Research, 15, 897-911. http://qhr.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/15/7/897
- Rodriguez, C.S. & Blischak, D. (2008). Communication needs of non-speaking hospitalized postoperative head and neck cancer patients Applied Nursing Research. Available online at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WB4-4VCNF1G-B&_user=2139813&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000054276&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=2139813&md5=a959ba3f1f3d2902354b321ae20e5986
- Rodriguez, C.S. & Rowe, M. (2010). Use of a speech-generating device with hospitalized post-operative head & neck cancer patients experiencing speechlessness.
- Oncology Nursing Forum, 37, 1-7. PMID: 20189925 http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/pdf?vid=2&hid=7&sid=edb79e51-5c29-4c20-9513-4ffa4cd3462b%40sessionmgr14