Cynthia Figueroa, PhD, ARNP, ANP-BC
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Before coming to the University of Florida, Dr. Figueroa-Haas practiced in Miami-Dade, Florida as an Adult Care Nurse Practitioner specializing in cardiology, family care, cosmetic surgery, and home health. As an Adult Health Nurse Practitioner, she is Nationally Board Certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Dr Figueroa-Haas currently teaches didactic and clinical courses associated with the medical-surgical and critical care adult client for graduate and undergraduate students. Additionally, she advises the Adult Health Track Doctoral of Nursing Practice (DNP) students.
Dr. Figueroa-Haas’ research interest is namely centered on psychological factors associated with women’s health. Dr. Haas’ other research interest concerns are on the psychological and social factors that affect specific illnesses or client populations such as clients who seek elective cosmetic surgery or the post menopausal client. Research has been conducted to explore attitudes of specific populations associated with clients who seek elective cosmetic surgery. In addition, indebt analysis has been conducted on research findings which implied association with an increase in suicide rates from the population of women who had breast implants. Currently, women’s sexuality level in the postmenopasal client is being explored.
Dr. Figueroa-Haas is involved in a number of nursing organizations which include the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), the Florida Nurse Practitioner Network (FNPN), Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, and Lambda Chi Honor Society. She is also a member and actively involved in the North Central Florida Advance Practice Nurses, Inc. Association.
Areas of expertise
Dr. Figueroa-Haas’ areas of expertise is in advanced adult health, namely, issues associated with acute and chronic illnesses in the adult patient population, woman’s health promotion and maintenance, cosmetic surgery, home health care, and IV sedation of the Oral Maxillofacial patient. She is also a Legal Nurse Consultant, Expert Witness in multifaceted Adult Health Issues.
Dr. Figueroa-Haas received her BSN (1993) in Nursing at Florida International University in Miami-Dade, Florida, her MSN and ARNP (1997) in Adult Health Nursing at Florida International University in Miami-Dade, Florida, and her PhD (2005) in Nursing from Barry University in Miami Shores, Florida.
- Figueroa-Haas, C., 2012. Screening for Female Sexual Dysfunction in Primary Care Settings. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. Vol. 8, No. 2, February.
- Figueroa-Haas, C., Hayes, C., & Jones, S. (2009). Sexuality Levels in Post Menopausal Women. In Process
- Figueroa- Haas, C. (2009). Psychological Issues Associated with Breast Augmentation. Issues in Mental Health Nursing. Vol. 30, No. 6, Pages 377-382.
- Thomas, L. & Figueroa-Haas, C. (2008). Nurse Practitioners: Can They Contribute to Your Practice? House Calls, Alachua County Medical Society.
- Figueroa-Haas, C., Champion, A., & Secor, D. (2008). Motivating Factors for Seeking Cosmetic Surgery: A Synthesis of the Literature. Plastic Surgical Nursing. Fall 2008, 28(4).
- Figueroa-Haas, C. (2007). Effect of Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty on Self-Esteem & Sexuality: A Quantitative Analysis. Plastic Surgical Nursing. Spring, (3).
- Cooper, L. & Figueroa-Haas, C. (2007). Nursing Students’ Perceptions of Clients Undergoing Elective Cosmetic Surgery. Plastic Surgical Nursing. Fall.
- Figueroa, C. (2003) Self-Esteem and Cosmetic Surgery: Is there a relationship Between the Two? Plastic Surgical Nursing. Spring, 23 (1).