Cynthia (Cindi) Firpi Figueroa, PhD, ARNP, ANP-BC
Clinical Assistant Professor
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Before coming to the University of Florida/College of Nursing (UF/CON), Dr. Figueroa (formerly Figueroa-Haas) practiced in Miami-Dade, Florida as an Adult Care Nurse Practitioner specializing in cardiology, family care, cosmetic surgery, and home health. As an Adult Health Nurse Practitioner, she is Nationally Board Certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). She is the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Track Director for the College. Additionally, she advises the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Track Doctoral of Nursing Practice (DNP) students and teaches both on-line & face-to-face didactic graduate nurse practitioner associated courses.
Dr. Figueroa’s research interest is primarily centered on psychological factors associated with women’s health. Other research interest are focused on the psychological and social factors that affect specific illnesses or client populations such as clients who seek elective cosmetic surgery, post-menopausal women & sexuality issues related to women’s health.
Dr. Figueroa is involved in a number of nursing organizations, which include the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), National League for Nursing (NLN), and the Sigma Theta Tau UF/CON Honor Society. She is also an active Board Member with the North Central Florida Advance Practice Nurses, Inc. (NCFAPN) Association and is appointed as the Liaison for the UF/CON. In addition, she is an Editorial Board Member for the journals, “Journal for Nurse Practitioners” and “Austin Journal of Nursing & Health Care”. Figueroa is also a member of the Florida Nurses Association. She is currently a member of UF/CON Faculty Executive Committee.
Areas of expertise
Dr. Figueroa’s areas of expertise is related to advanced adult health care, namely, issues associated with acute and chronic illnesses, woman’s health promotion and maintenance, cosmetic surgery, home health care, and administration of IV sedation. She is also a Legal Nurse Expert in multifaceted health issues.
Dr. Figueroa received her BSN (1993) in Nursing at Florida International University in Miami-Dade, Florida, her MSN and ARNP (1997) in Adult Health Nursing at Florida International University in Miami-Dade, Florida, and her PhD (2005) in Nursing from Barry University in Miami Shores, Florida.
- Figueroa, C. & Hays, S. (2015). Celebrating Nurse Practitioners. The Post, Published: November 13th, 2015.
- Figueroa, C. & Saenz, A. (2015). Sexuality and Sexually Transmitted Disease Awareness in the Elderly. Austin Journal of Nursing & Health Care. 2(2): 1019.
- Figueroa-Haas, C., (2012). Screening for Female Sexual Dysfunction in Primary Care Settings. Journal for Nurse Practitioners. Vol. 8, No. 2, February.
- Figueroa- Haas, C. (2009). Psychological Issues Associated with Breast Augmentation. Issues in Mental Health Nursing. Vol. 30, No. 6, Pages 377-382.
- Thomas, L. & Figueroa-Haas, C. (2008). Nurse Practitioners: Can They Contribute to Your Practice? House Calls, Alachua County Medical Society.
- Figueroa-Haas, C., Champion, A., & Secor, D. (2008). Motivating Factors for Seeking Cosmetic Surgery: A Synthesis of the Literature. Plastic Surgical Nursing. Fall 2008, 28(4).
- Figueroa-Haas, C. (2007). Effect of Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty on Self-Esteem & Sexuality: A Quantitative Analysis. Plastic Surgical Nursing. Spring, (3).
- Cooper, L. & Figueroa-Haas, C. (2007). Nursing Students’ Perceptions of Clients Undergoing Elective Cosmetic Surgery. Plastic Surgical Nursing. Fall.
- Figueroa, C. (2003) Self-Esteem and Cosmetic Surgery: Is there a relationship Between the Two? Plastic Surgical Nursing. Spring, 23 (1).