Debbie Popovich, MSN, CPNP
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Professor Popovich teaches pediatric nursing to undergraduate students and adolescent gynecology to graduate students.
Professor Popovich has chaired the Environment and Resources Committee for the College of Nursing Faculty Organization. She is the faculty representative on the Dean’s Advisory Circle. Professor Popovich holds membership in the Florida Nurses Association, Association for the Care of Children’s Health, National Association of Pediatric Nurse Associates and Practitioners, and Sigma Theta Tau, International Nursing Honor Society. Profesor Popovich is a past member of the UF Senate. Along with refereed publications, she contributes to Pediatrics for Parents.
Clinical practice expertise
Professor Popovich is a certified pediatric nurse practitioner with extensive experience in acute care, growth and development, and adolescent gynecology.
Professor Popovich received her BSN in Nursing and her MSN in Pediatric Nursing at Indiana University.
- Popovich, D.M. (2011). The worst headache of my life: Crucial responses for recognizing thunderclap headache, treatment and survival of aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners,7(5), 359-368.
- Popovich, D. (2011). 30-second head-to-toe tool in pediatric nursing: Cultivating safety in handoff communication. Pediatric Nursing, 37(2), 55-60.
- Popovich, D. M., Schentrup, D. M., & McAlhany, A. L. (2010). Recognizing and diagnosing abdominal migraines. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 24(6), 372-377.
- Popovich, D., & McAlhany, A., Adewumi, A. O., & Barnes, M. M. (2009). Scurvy—Forgotten but definitely not gone. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 23(6), 405-415..
- Popovich, D. M., & McAlhany, A. (2008). Accurately diagnosing commonly misdiagnosed circular rashes. Dermatology Nursing, 20(4), 294-300.
- Popovich, D.M., & McAlhany, A. (2007). Accurately diagnosing commonly misdiagnosed circular rashes. Pediatric Nursing, 33(4), 315-320
- McAlhany, A., & Popovich, D.M. (2006). Girl, 13, with swollen uterus and pelvic pain. Clinician Reviews, 16(10), 53-54, 57.
- McAlhany, A., & Popovich, D.M. (2006). Recognition, assessment, and diagnosis of imperforate hymen. Clinician Reviews. Accepted for publication.
- McAlhany, A., & Popovich, D. (2007). Hirschsprung disease. Newborn & Infant Nursing Reviews, 7(3), 151-154.
- Popovich, D.M., & McAlhany, A. (2006). More than meets the eye: When Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome complicates PID. ADVANCE for Nurse Practitioners, 3, 57-60.
- Popovich, D. M., & McAlhany, A. (2004). Practitioner care and screening guidelines for infants born to chlamydia-positive mothers. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews, 4(1), 51-55.
- Popovich, D., Dwyer, N., & Danek, G. (2004). Pediatric Health Care Providers’ Knowledge of Pulse Oximetry. Pediatric Nursing, 3(1), 14-22.
- Popovich, D. (2003). Clinical practice: Preserving dignity in the young hospitalized child. Nursing Forum, 38(2), 12-17.
- Popovich, D. M. (2000). Sexuality in early childhood: Pediatric nurses’ attitudes, knowledge, and clinical practice. Pediatric Nursing, 26(5), 484-492.