Donna Neff, PhD, APRN, BC
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Neff is an Assistant Professor who teaches adult health courses and doctoral research and theory.
Dr. Neff’s research interests focus on nurse/patient outcomes and organizational factors. She seeks to understand the determinants of patient health outcomes and identifying leverage points for improving the systems in which they receive care. She is currently the PI on a replication study of Dr. Linda Aiken (Director of the Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research at the University of Pennsylvania) and colleagues. Multi-State Nurse Carea and Patient Safety Study in the state of Florida. In 2003 Dr. Neff was selected as a Hartford Institute Scholar.
Recent Grant Proposals
PI: Neff, D.F. (2007). Outcomes of Nurse Practice Environments in Florida: Pilot Grant. Funded by The Center for Health Outcomes and Policy Research (UPENN). PI: Neff, D.F. (submitted June 2008). Hospital Patient Outcomes Associated with Internationally Educated Nurses. K01; National Institute of Nursing Research.
Dr. Neff is a Reviewer of journal issues in: Geriatric Nursing, Issues in Mental Health Nursing, and McMaster Online Rating of Evidence (MORE): Clinical Relevance Online Rating System. She is a member of the Southern Nurse Research Society, Sigma Theta Tau, International Nursing Honor Society, Gerontological Society of America and Florida Alliance for Diabetes Prevention and Care. She reviews research grant proposals and paper/poster abstracts for several professional organizations including Florida Nurses Association, SNRS and STTI. She also holds memberships with pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society in Social Science and Alpha Kappa Delta International Sociological Honor Society and is active in service to UF College of Nursing.
Clinical Practice area/expertise
Dr. Neff’s expertise is in Gerontological nursing.
Dr. Neff received her MSN from the University of Akron and her PhD in Nursing from the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University. She also pursued doctoral studies in sociology from Kent State University.
- Neff, D, F., Kinion, E.S., & Cardina, C. (2007). Nurse managed center: Access to primay health care for urban Native Americans. . Journal of Community Health Nursing.
- Brooten, D., Youngblut, J.M., Donahue, D., Hamilton, M., Hannan, J., and Neff, D.F. (2007). High risk pregnancies: Women’ prenatal and postpartum problems in interventions by advanced practice nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 39, 349-57.
- Madigan, E., Neff, D. (June 30, 2003). Care of Patients with Long-Term Indwelling Urinary Catheters” Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. Available Online
- Neff, D.F., Madigan, E., Narsavage, G. (August, 2003). Home Healthcare Model: Guiding Nursing Care of Patients with COPD. Home Healthcare Nurse, 21(8), 1-8.
- Neff, D.N., Mahama, D., Mohar, D. & Kinion, E.S. (2003). Nursing Care Delivered at an Academic Community Based Nurse Managed Center. Journal of Outcomes Management in Nursing, 7(2), 84-89.
- Neff, D.F., & Pesata, V. (in progress) Integrating internationally educated nurses into U.S. acute care settings: An exemplar case. JONA.
- Neff, D.F. (in review). Exploring barriers to diabetes care in rural women. Journal of Clinical Nursing Research.