Jean Ballantyne, PhD, RN
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville , FL 32610
Dr. Ballantyne is Clinical Professor in the Adulty and Elderly Nursing Department at the College of Nursing.
Dr. Ballantyne’s research interests are in the area of mental health issues and health care delivery for older adults.
Dr. Ballantyne has a history of service on several state and national boards and initiatives.
University of Florida Committees: University Curriculum Committee; College of Nursing Liaison to the SACS Accreditation Team; Distance Learning Committee; Council Of Associate Deans; Health Sciences Interprofessional Committee.
Area of expertise
Her expertise is in the area of geriatric nursing and Adult health.
Dr. Ballantyne received her PhD in Nursing with a minor in Health Policy from Oregon Health & Science University. She also received her MN and BSN from Montana State University.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Ballantyne J, Clark, L. et al. Cultural competencies in baccalaureate nursing education. Western Institute of Nursing –Research Proceedings. Refereed Symposium. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Calvillo, E. Clark, L., Ballantyne, J. Pacquiao, D., Purnell, L., Villarruel, A. (2009). Cultural competency in baccalaureate nursing education. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 20. 137-145.
- Ballantyne, J. Cultural Competencies for Baccalaureate Education. Report to AACN membership at March semiannual meeting. Wash DC.
- Ballantyne, J. (2008). Cultural competency: Highlighting the work of the American Association Colleges of Nursing—California Endowment Advisory Group. Journal of Professional Nursing, 24 (3). 133-134.
- Ballantyne, J. (2008) Balancing Life with Chronic Illness. UAA Café, a faculty development presentation—sponsored by the Alaska Geriatric Education Center. Refereed presentation.
- Ballantyne, J. (2007). Foundations of Rural Nursing. Alaska State Hospital and Nursing Home Association, Rural Generalist Curriculum Development Taskforce. Invited presentation.
- Ballantyne, J. (2007). Antidepressant Treatment among Depressed Residents of Assisted Living Facilities. University of Alaska Anchorage Faculty Research Forum. Invited Presentation.
- Ballantyne, J. & Predeger, E. (2007). Infusing Geriatric Nursing into a Baccalaureate Curriculum. Western Institute of Nursing Research Proceedings. Refereed Poster. Portland OR.
- Ballantyne, J. (2007). Where have all the nurses gone? Keeping nurses in the workforce. Invited Banquet Speaker–Alaska Nurses Association.
- Gilje, F. & Ballantyne, J. (2006). Depression and Suicide Prevention in Older Adults. Alaska Geriatric Center, Best Practices Conference. Refereed presentation.