Jeanne-Marie R Stacciarini, PhD, RN, FAAN
Associate Professor and Director, Diversity and Inclusion
Dr. Stacciarini teaches undergraduate Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing and Nursing Research for undergraduate and graduate students. She also has experience teaching undergraduate and graduate students in Brazil. In 2011, Dr. Stacciarini received the College of Nursing International Educator of the Year Award and in 2012-2013 she received the College of Nursing Teacher of the Year Award.
Dr. Stacciarini’s research interests are in the area of mental health promotion among minorities, community-based participatory research for minorities, rural and international populations. She uses mixed-methods research and social network analysis. In recognition of her work with underserved populations, in 2012 she received the Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS) Award for Research in Minority Health and the 2014 APNA Award for Excellence in Research.
Dr. Stacciarini holds membership in the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, Sigma Theta Tau and the Southern Nursing Research Society. She has been a mentor for the UF University Minority Mentor Program and she was also the mentor for the Mentoring Program at the 2013- People’s Scientific Conference to Promote Health and Eliminate Health Disparities.
Area of expertise
Dr. Stacciarini has clinical expertise in Psychiatric Nursing and Mental Health.
Dr. Stacciarini received her BSN in Nursing at the Catholic University of Goiás (Brazil). She received her master in Psychiatric Nursing and Mental Health at the University of São Paulo/ College of Nursing Ribeirão Preto and her PhD in Psychology at the University of Brasilia (Brazil). During her PhD she received a Fulbright Scholarship and came to the US as a visitor scholar at the Psychology department/University of Massachusetts.
- Stacciarini, J.M. R. et. al. (2014, under review). Community Engaged Research: Involving FBOs to Understand Rural Latinos’ Mental Health Needs. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology.
- Liang, M., Stacciarini, J. M. R., Smith, R., & Weins, B. (2014, under review). Activity Space, Rurality, and Wellbeing of Latino Immigrants: A GIS Methodology. Health & Place
- Stacciarini, J. M. R. et al. (2014). Rural Latinos’ Mental Wellbeing: Family Environment and Social Isolation. Community Mental Health Journal. doi: 10.1007/s10597-014-9774-z.
- Stacciarini, J. M. R. et al. (2014). I didn’t ask to come to this country…I was a child: The mental health implications of growing up undocumented. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health
- Stacciarini, J.M. R. et al. (2012). Promotoras in Mental Health: A Review of English, Spanish, and Portuguese Literature. Family & Community Health (special issue on Lay Health Workers), 35, 2, 92-102. PMID: 22367256.
- Stacciarini, J.M. R. et al. (2011). CBPR: Building Partnerships with Latinos in Rural Area for a Wellness Approach to Mental Health. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 32(8), 486-92. PMID: 21767250.
- Kneipp, S. M., Kairalla, J. Stacciarini, J. M. R. & Pereira, D. (2010). A comparison of depressive symptom severity scores using the BDI-II and the PHQ-9 in low-income women. Nursing Research, 59, 6, 372-379.
- Stacciarini, J. M. R., Shattell, M.M., Madden, M.C., & Wiens, B.A. (2010). Review: Community-based participatory research approach to address mental health in minority populations.
Stacciarini, J. M. R. (2009). A Review of Community-Based Participatory Research: A Promising Approach to Address Depression Among Latinos? Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 30, 12, 751-757.
- Kneipp, S.M., Kairalla, J., Stacciarini, J. M. R., & Pereira, D. (2009). Validity of the Beck Depression Inventory-II using exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis among low-income women enrolled in a welfare transition program. Nursing Research, 58, 6, 400-409.
- Stacciarini, J. M. R. (2008). Focus Group: Examining a community-based group intervention for depressed Puerto Rican women. Issues in Mental Heath Nursing, 29, 679-700.
- Stacciarini, J. M. R., Okeeffe, M. & Mathews, M. (2007). Group therapy as treatment for depressed Latino women: a review of the literature. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 28, 473-488.
- Stacciarini, J. M. R. (submitted). Focus Group: Cultural Appropriateness of Therapeutic Exercises for a Group Intervention with Depressed Puerto Rican Women. Journal of Transcultural Nursing
- Stacciarini, J. M. R., Okeeffe, M. & Mathews, M. (accept for publication). Group Therapy as Treatment for Depressed Latino Women: A Review of the Literature. Issues in Mental Health Nursing.
Stacciarini, J. M. R. & Tróccoli, B. T. (2004) Ocupational Stress and Constructive Thinking: health and job satisfaction. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 46(5), 480-487.
- Cunningham, H. Stacciarini, J. M. R. & Towle, S. (2004). Strategies to Promote Success on the NCLEX-RN for Students with English as a Second Language. Nurse Educator, V19, N1, pp15-19.
- Jacelon, C. S, Zucker, D. M. Stacciarini, J.M.R. & Henneman, E. A (2003) . Peer Mentoring for Tenure-Track Faculty. Journal of Professional Nursing, V19, N6 (November-December), pp335-338.
- Stacciarini, J. M. R. (2002). Experiencing Cultural Differences: Reflections on Cultural Diversity. Journal of Professional Nursing, 18 (6) 346-349.
- Esperidião, E., Munari, D. & Stacciarini, J.M. (2002). Desenvolvendo pessoas: estratégias didáticas facilitadoras para o auto conhecimento na formação do enfermeiro. [Developing People: didatic statregies to promote self knowledge in the nursing education] Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem 10 (4): 516-22.