Jeannie P. Cimiotti, PhD, RN, FAAN
Associate Professor and Dorothy M. Smith Endowed Chair and Director, Florida Blue Center for Health Care Quality
University of Florida
P.O. Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610
Telephone: 352-273- 6342
Dr. Cimiotti’s research interests focus on the health care workforce and the quality of patient care.
Dr. Cimiotti is a fellow in the American Academy of Nursing. She is an active member in Academy Health, where she chairs the Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues (IRGNI). Additional professional organizations include the American Academy of Nursing, American Association of Nurse Practitioners, American Nurses Association, American Public Health Association, Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, Florida Nurses Association, National Association for Healthcare Quality, Sigma Theta Tau International, and Southern Nursing Research Society. Dr. Cimiotti sits on the editorial board of the American Journal of Infection Control.
Area of expertise
Dr. Cimiotti is internationally known for the development and implementation of health care surveys, and managing large health care datasets.
Education: Dr. Cimiotti received a BSN from University of the State of New York, Albany, NY; an MSN from Rutgers University, Newark, NJ; and a PhD from Columbia University, New York, NY. In addition, she completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
- Johansen, M.L., de Cordova, P., Martinez, M.E., Duan, W., & Cimiotti, J.P. (in press). The implications of nurse resources on cardiac care in the emergency department. Applied Nursing Research
- Cimiotti, J. P., Barton S. J., Sloane, D. M., Gorman, K. C., & Aiken, L. H. (2014). Nurse reports of resource adequacy in hospitals that care for acutely ill children. Journal for Healthcare Quality. 36(2), 25-32.
- Budden, J., Zhong, E. H., Moulton, P., & Cimiotti, J. P. (2013). Highlights of the 2013 National Workforce Survey of Registered Nurses. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 4(2), 1-9.
- Neff, D.F., Cimiotti, J.P., Sloane, D.M., & Aiken, L.H. (2013). Utilization of non-US educated nurses in US hospitals: Implications for hospital mortality. International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 25(4), 366-72.
- Tubbs-Cooley, H. L., Cimiotti, J. P., Silber, J. H., Sloane, D. M., & Aiken, L. H. (2013). An observational study of nurse staffing ratios and hospital readmission among children admitted for common conditions. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 22(9), 735-42.
- Moulton, P. L., Wiebusch, P. L., Cleary, B. L., Brunell, M. L., Napier, D. F., Bienemy, C., LeVasseur, S. A., & Cimiotti, J. P. (2012). Toward standardization (Part 2): National nursing minimum data sets consensus building and implementation status. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice, 13(3), 162-9.
- Kavanagh, K. T., Cimiotti, J. P., Abusalem, S., & Coty, M. (2012). Moving healthcare quality forward with nursing-sensitive value-based purchasing. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 44(4), 385-395.
- Cimiotti, J. P., Aiken, L. H., Sloane, D. M., & Wu, E. (2012). Nurse staffing, burnout, and healthcare-associated infection. American Journal of Infection Control, 40(6), 486-90.
- Aiken, L. H., Cimiotti, J. P., Sloane, D. M., Flynn, L., & Neff, D. F. (2011). The effects of nurse staffing and nurse education on patient deaths in hospitals with different nurse work environments. Medical Care, 49(12), 1047-53.
- Brooks Carthon, J. M., Kutney-Lee, A., Sloane, D. M., Cimiotti, J.P., & Aiken L.H. (2011). Quality of care and patient satisfaction in hospitals with high concentrations of Black patients. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 43(3), 301-310.
- Kendall-Gallagher, D., Aiken, L. H., Sloane, D. M., & Cimiotti, J. P. (2011). Nurse specialty certification, inpatient mortality, and failure to rescue in the adult surgical population. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 43(2), 188-194.
- McHugh, M. D., Kutney-Lee, A., Cimiotti, J. P., Sloane, D. M., & Aiken L. H. (2011). Nurses’ widespread job dissatisfaction, burnout, and frustration with health benefits signal problems for patient care. Health Affairs, 30(2), 202-210.
- Neff, D. F., Cimiotti, J. P., & Aiken, L. H. (2011). Nurse reports from the frontlines: Analysis of a statewide nursing survey. Nursing Forum, 46(1), 4-10.
- Aiken, L. H., Sloane, D. M., Cimiotti, J. P., Clarke, S. P., Flynn, L., Seago, J. A., Spetz, J, & Smith, H. L. (2010). Implications of the California nurse staffing mandate for other states. Health Services Research, 42(2), 1-18.