Joyce Stechmiller, PhD, ACNP-BC, FAAN
Associate Professor, Department Chair, Biobehavioral Nursing Science
Dr. Stechmiller teaches research and theory coursed for the baccalaureate students. Dr. Stechmiller mentors doctoral students through chairing and participating on doctoral committees.
Dr. Stechmiller’s research interests focus on biobehavioral aspects of chronic wound healing including symptoms, immune function, nutritional status and interventions for wound healing in adults and older adults.
Dr. Stechmiller is Department Chair of the Biobehavioral Nursing Science Department. She holds membership on the Board of Directors of the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel and was previously a Board membe of the Wound Healing Society. She is a member of the Florida Nurse Association, Sigma Theta Tau International, and Southern Nursing Research Society. She serves as an editorial consultant and peer reviewer of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, International Journal of Quality Health Care, Biological Research in Nursing, Clinical Nutrition and American Journal of Critical Care. She is an editor of Advances in Wound Care.
Clinical practice area/expertise
Dr. Stechmiller is licensed in the State of Florida as an Adult Nurse Practitioner.
Dr. Stechmiller received her BSN in Nursing and her MSN in Cardiovascular Nursing at the University of Maryland and her PhD in Educational Psychology at the University of Florida.
- Stechmiller, J.K. Cowan, L., & Oomens, C. (In Press.) Bottom up and Top Down Pressure Ulcers. In D.Doughty & L.McNichol. (Eds.), WOCN Core Curriculum.
- National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, European Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel and Pan Pacific Pressure Injury Alliance. Prevention and Treatment of Pressure Ulcers: Clinical Practice Guideline. Emily Haesler (Ed.). cambridge Media: Perth, Australia; 2014.
- Jones, V., Harding, K., Stechmiller, J., & Schultz, G. (2015).Acute and chronic wound healing. In S. Baranoski and E. Ayello (Eds.) Wound care essentials: Practice principles (3rd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Wolters Kluwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Cowan, L., Stechmiller, J.,Phillips, Priscilla, & Schultz, G. (2014) Science of Wound Healing: Translation of Bench Science into Advances for Chronic Wound Care. In D.Krasner, G. Sibbald & G. Rodeheaver (Eds.), Chronic wound care: A clinical source book for healthcare Professionals (5th ed.) King of Prussia, PA: Health Management Publications.
- Cowan, L., Phillips, P., Stechmiller, J., Yang, Q., Wolcott, R., Schultz, G. (2013). Chapter 4: Antibiofilm strategies and antiseptics. Antiseptics in Surgery – update 2013. Christian Willy (Editor). Ulm, Germany: Lindqvist Book Publishing.
- Ahn, H., Stechmiller, J., Fillingim, R., Lyon, D., & Garvan, C. (In Press). Bodily pain intensity in nursing home residents with pressure ulcers: Analysis of National MDS 3.0. Research in Nursing and Health.
- Ahn H, Stechmiller J & Horgas A. Pain in older adults with pressure ulcers. (2013) Advances in Wound Care.Aug 26(8): 375-80.
- Masturzo,A, Beltz WR, Cook R, Bates-Jensen, B, Stechmiller J, Korzendorfer H, Bogie K, Fulton JA, Himel H Gould L. (2013) Wound care certification: the grin without a cat. Wound Repair Regen (4) 494-7.
- Linda J. Cowan, Joyce K. Stechmiller, Priscilla Phillips, Qingping Yang, and Gregory Schultz, (2013)“Chronic Wounds, Biofilms and Use of Medicinal Larvae,” Ulcers, vol. 2013, Article ID 487024, 7 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/487024 (5th ed.). King of Prussia, PA: Health Management Publications.