Michael D. Bumbach, PhD, ARNP
Clinical Assistant Professor
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Bumbach teaches both undergraduate and graduate nursing courses. These courses include health assessment, pathophysiology/pharmacology and advanced health assessment and courses in the family nurse practitioner track.
Dr. Bumbach’s major area of research interest include gender differences in chronic disease states. Disease process are differentiated by demographics and a major demographic includes gender. Gender is at the center of a patient’s health experience and therefore an important construct.
A second area of scholarship includes technology in nursing education. As the discipline of nursing evolves to maintain a balance of tradition and modernism, technology arises in the center of a nursing student’s experience. Technology is important, but evidence supporting the student experience and educational efficacy highlights the importance of best practices.
Dr. Bumbach started in the role as an emergency/trauma nurse at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. He continued his education with a Master’s in advanced practice nursing and became board certified as a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP). Directly after graduation, Dr. Bumbach worked in Charleston, SC, at the Medical University of South Carolina in the Pulmonary and Critical Care floor, contracted for a long term care FNP. Taking all of these experiences, he moved to the outpatient clinical setting where he practiced family primary care and outpatient urgent care in Charleston, SC. Dr. Bumbach continued served in clinical role as a Family Nurse Practitioner in Ocala, FL, with a primary focus on urgent care.
Currently, Dr. Bumbach serves as a FNP in the Archer Community Health Center, as a Medical Examiner for the Department of Transportation (DOT) driver certification medical exam.
Area of expertise
1 – Gender Differences in Chronic Disease States
2 – Technology in Nursing Education
Bachelor: Johns Hopkins University, College of Nursing
Master’s: Johns Hopkins University, College of Nursing
Doctorate (PhD): University of Florida, College of Nursing
- Bejleri, I., Steiner, R., Neff, D., Harman, J., Lutz, B., Yoon, S., & Bumbach, M. (2015). Informing Planning to Address Healthcare Disparities: Assessing Spatial Accessibility to Health Care Using GIS Analysis. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning (CUPUM), Boston, MA.
- Bumbach, M., & Harman, J. (2014, August). The state of the state: Florida nurse practitioners. Paper presented at the 11th annual Florida Nurse Practitioner Network (FNPN), Lake Buena Vista, FL.
- Bumbach, M. D., Lutz, B. J., Harman, J., Bejleri, I., Steiner, R., Yoon, S. H., . . . Neff, D. F. (2016, February 24-27). Nurse practitioner experiences across varied state practice regulatory environments. Paper presented at the Southern Nursing Research Society (SNRS), 30th Annual Conference, Williamsburg, VA.
- Bumbach, M. D., Neff, D., Harman, J., Ilir, B., Steiner, R., Lutz, B., & Yoon, S. H. (2015, February 28). Nurse practitioner job satisfaction and barriers to practice. Paper presented at the Southeastern Nursing Research Society (SNRS), Tampa, FL.
- Bumbach, M. D., & Weber, B. A. (2014, April). Nurse Practitioner job satisfaction: A systematic review. Paper presented at the 11th Annual Research and Scholarship Day & Malasanos Lectureship, University of Florida, College of Nursing, Gainesville, FL.
- Neff, D. F., Harman, J., Bejleri, I., Steiner, R., Bumbach, M., Yoon, S., & Lutz, B. J. (2014). Nurse practitioner geographic distribution and scope of practice in medically underserved areas in the US. Paper presented at the AcademyHealth 2014 Annual Research Meeting (ARM), San Diego Convention Center, CA.
- Neff, D. F., Harman, J., Bejleri, I., Steiner, R., Bumbach, M. D., S.H., Y., & Lutz, B. J. (2015, February). Informing Policy to Maximize Use of Advance Practice Registered Nurses in Underserved Areas: National Study. Paper presented at the 29th Annual Southern Nursing Research Conference, Tampa, Florida.
- Steiner, R., Bejleri, I., Neff, D., Harman, J., Lutz, B., Yoon, S., & Bumbach, M. (2015, July). Examining unequal distribution of primary care providers: Comparing healthcare disparity among urban and rural Florida. Paper presented at the International Conference on Transport & Health, London, UK.
- Steiner, R., Bejleri, I., Neff, D., Harman, J., Lutz, B., Yoon, S., & Bumbach, M. (2015). A76 Inequalities in the distribution of primary care providers: Comparing healthcare disparity among urban and rural Floridian. Journal of Transport & Health, 2(2, Supplement), S44-S45. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jth.2015.04.564