Michael T. Weaver, PhD, RN, FAAN
Associate Dean for Research and Scholarship
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Office: HPNP 2201A
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Weaver’s research interests are in applied statistics and health prevention and promotion.
Research (5 most recently funded projects ):
1I01HX001076-01 Daggett (PI); Agency: VA/HSR&D
Title: Telephone Assessment and Skill-Building Intervention for Informal Caregivers
The objectives of this study are to conduct a randomized controlled trial (RCT) to evaluate (a) the efficacy of the ANSWERS-VA dyadic intervention with Veterans who have sustained a stroke and/or TBI and their informal caregivers, and (b) estimate effect sizes for the ANSWERS-VA intervention.
Dreifurst (PI); Agency: Robert Wood Johnson
Title: Exploring the State of Doctoral Education: Implications for the Nursing Faculty Shortage
The purpose of this study is to describe the relationship between doctoral education, preparation for teaching and perceptions of an academic career in nursing.
1R21NR013755-01 Lu (PI); Agency: NIH/NINR
Title: Daily Enhancement of Meaningful Activity
The purpose of this pilot study is to evaluate feasibility of the revised DEMA (Daily Enhancement of Meaningful Activity) intervention, and estimate effect sizes for the intervention through incorporation of a comparison group
1 R01 NR010388-01A2 Bakas (PI); Agency: NIH/NINR
Title: Telephone Assessment and Skill-Building Intervention for Stroke Caregivers
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of the revised Telephone Assessment and Skill-building Kit (TASK II), a nurse-led comprehensive intervention that enables caregivers to build skills based on assessment of their own needs.
5 R01 CA138936-05 Champion (PI); Agency: NIH/NCI
Title: Technology-Enhanced Quitline Services to Prevent Smoking Relapse
The purpose of this study is to test the efficacy of IVR technology for enhancing existing quitline services (Alere Wellbeing’s Quit for Life® program) to prevent smoking relapse and achieve abstinence.
Area of Expertise
Statistical analysis, emphasizing advanced multivariate techniques; research methods; and health promotion.
Member and past Co-Chair of the American Academy of Nursing Genetics Health Care Expert Panel. Reviewer for the PCORI Addressing Disparities study section. Member of the Nursing Outlook editorial board. Member of manuscript review panel for Research In Nursing and Health, Nursing Outlook, and Journal of Advanced Nursing .
Dr. Weaver received his PhD from the University of Toledo, his master’s degree in nursing from the Medical College of Ohio in Toledo and bachelor’s degree in nursing from Bowling Green State University in Ohio.
- Hanna K, Stupiansky N, Weaver M, Slaven J, & Stump T (2014). Alcohol Use Trajectories After High School Graduation Among Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes. Journal of Adolescent Health, 55: 201-208. DOI: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.02.002.
- Carney T, Weaver M, McDaniel A, Jones J, & Haggstrom D (2014). Organizational Factors Influencing the Use of Clinical Decision Support for Improving Cancer Screening Within Community Health Centers. International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics, 9(1), 1-29, January-March. DOI: 10.4018/ijhisi.2014010101.
- Hanna KM, Weaver MT, Stump TE, Fortenberry JD, & DiMeglio LA (2014). The Relationship of Worry About Hypoglycemia With Diabetes-specific and Typical Youth Behavior Among Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes. The Diabetes Educator 40: 533-542. DOI: 10.1177/0145721714528997.
- Hanna KM, Weaver MT, Slaven JE, Fortenberry JD, DiMeglio LA (2014). Diabetes-Related Quality of Life and the Demands and Burdens of Diabetes Care Among Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes in the Year After High School Graduation. Res Nurs Health 37(5), 399-408. PMID: 25164122; PMCID: PMC4167564 [Available on 2015-10-01]. Published online in Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com).
- Johnson A, Jung L, Brown K, Weaver M, & Richards K (2014). Sleep Deprivation and Error in Nurses who Work the Night Shift. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(1), 17-22. DOI: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000016.
- McLennon SM, Bakas T, Jessup NM, Habermann B, & Weaver MT (2014). Task Difficulty and Life Changes Among Stroke Family Caregivers: Relationship to Depressive Symptoms. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation;95: 2484-90. PMID: 24858447; PMCID: PMC4241185; DOI: 10.1016/j.apmr.2014.04.028.
- Otte JL, Carpenter JS, Manchanda S, Rand KL, Skaar TC, Weaver M, Chernyak Y, Zhong X, Igega C, & Landis C (2015). Systematic review of sleep disorders in cancer patients: can the prevalence of sleep disorders be ascertained? Cancer Medicine 4(2):183–200. PMID: 25449319; PMCID: PMC4329003; DOI: 10.1002/cam4.356.
- Jessup NM, Bakas T, McLennon SM, & Weaver MT (2015) Are there gender, racial or relationship differences in caregiver task difficulty, depressive symptoms and life changes among stroke family caregivers?, Brain Injury, 29(1), 17-24, DOI: 10.3109/02699052.2014.947631.
- McDaniel AM, Vickerman KA, Stump TE, Monahan PO, Fellows JL, Weaver MT, Carlini BH, Champion VL, & Zbikowski SM (2015). A randomized controlled trial to prevent smoking relapse among recently quit smokers enrolled in employer and health plan sponsored quitlines. BMJ Open (5): e007260. PMID: 26124508; PMCID: PMC4486943; DOI:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-007260.
- Hanna KM, Weaver MT, Slaven JE, Stump MA, & Shieh C (2015). Weight Control Behaviors Among Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Educator 41(4), 444-451. PMID: 25862681; PMCID: PMC4504815; DOI: 10.1177/0145721715581667.