Saunjoo Yoon, PhD, RN
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-1087
Dr. Yoon teaches both clinical and didactic nursing courses for undergraduate and accelerated BSN students. In addition, Dr. Yoon mentors Honors, McNair Scholars, and doctoral students (both PhD and DNP).
Dr. Yoon focuses on how complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) can promote health and manage chronic illness in adult populations. More specifically, she is interested in how: 1) CAM can be used by adults to provide self-care for chronic health problems, and 2) CAM interventions can manage symptoms in adults with chronic illnesses such as cancers of the gastrointestinal tract (GI), osteoarthritis, and irritable bowel syndrome. To this end, she has completed several studies that involved using dietary supplements to manage chronic pain as well as symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. She recently completed a feasibility study to examine the role of acupuncture in managing appetite loss in patients with GI cancers. Presently, she is conducting a pilot study to investigate the effects of acupuncture in managing appetite and weight loss in patients with cancers of the GI tract. She is also examining the CAM use among adults with irritable bowel syndrome, and is collecting results with an online survey.
Dr. Yoon is a member of the Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, the Oncology Nursing Society, and the Florida Nurses Association. She
serves as the College of Nursing Search committee member and as a Chair of the UF McNair Council for the McNair Scholars Program.
Currently, she is a reviewer for journals such as Gerontological Nursing, Public Health Nursing, Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, International Journal of Nursing Studies, and Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice.
Dr. Yoon received her BSN in Nursing at Seoul National University (Korea). She received her MSN in Adult Health Nursing and her PhD in Nursing at the University of Florida, Gainesville FL.
- Grundmann, O., & Yoon, S. L. (in press). Mind-body therapies for functional bowel disorders –a review of recent clinical trials. European Journal of Integrative Medicine.
- Yoon, S. L., & Kim, J. H. (in press). Prevalence and factors contributing to the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in rural older women with chronic pain in Korea. Applied Nursing Research.
- Yoon, S. L., & Kim, J. H. (2013). Job-related stress and emotional labor with depressive symptoms among Korean nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 45 (2), 1-8.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Williams, J.J., & Carriere, G. (2012). Acupuncture as a novel intervention to improve appetite in patients with cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. Oncology Nursing Forum, 39 (6), E511-E547. Abstract # 1423759. DOI. 10.1188/12.ONF.E511-E547.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Keane, D., Urbano, T., & Moshiree, B. (2012). Clinical evaluation of liquid placebos for the herbal medicinal product STW5 in healthy volunteers. Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 20, 267-274.
- Lee, Y-S., Baek, J-D., Yang, K., & Yoon, S. L. (2012). Relationship between physical activity on prevalence, awareness, and treatment of low femoral bone density in U. S. older adults. American Journal of Health Promotion, 27(1), 2-9.
- Bevil, C. A., Cohen, M. Z., Sherlock, J. R., Yoon, S. L., & Yucha, C. B. (2012). Research support in doctoral-granting schools of nursing: A decade later. Journal of Professional Nursing. 28, 74-81.
- Horgas, A. L., Yoon, S. L., & Grall, M. (2012). Pain management in older adults. In M. Boltz, E., Capezuti, T. Fulmer, & D. Zwicker (Eds.), Evidence-Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols for Best Practice (4th ed., pp. 246-267). New York: Springer.
- Yoon, S. L., Moshiree, B., & Grundmann, O. (2011). Recent developments in the use of pre- and probiotics for irritable bowel syndrome. European Gastroenterology & Hepatology Review, 7(4), 237-241.
- Shuster, J., Anton, S., Theriaque, D., & Yoon, S. L. (2011). Control in the middle (CIM) for three-arm crossover studies. Planta Medica, 77, 1473-1476.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Koepp, L., & Farrell, L. (2011). Symptom management in adults with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Review of literature. Alternative Medicine Review, 16(2), 134-151.
- Grundmann, O., Yoon, S. L., & Moshiree, B. (2010). Current developments for the diagnosis and treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 16, 3638-3645.
- Grundmann, O., & Yoon, S.L. (2010). Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) –Epidemiology, diagnosis, and Treatment—An update for healthcare practitioners. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 25, 691-699.
- Weber, B. A., Derrico, D., Yoon, S., & Sherwill-Navarro, P. (2009). Educating patients to evaluate web-based health care information: The GATOR approach to healthy surfing. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19, 1371-137.
- Schaffer, S. D., Yoon, S. L., & Zdrojewski, I. (2009). Smoking cessation: Potentially risky effects on prescribed medications. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18, 1533-1540.
- Horgas, A. L., & Yoon, S. L. (2008). Pain management in older adults. In E. Capezuti, D. Zwicker, M. Mezey, & T. Fulmer, (Eds.), Evidence-Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols for Best Practice (3rd ed., pp. 199-222). New York: Springer.
- Horgas, A. L., Yoon, S. L., Nichols, A., & Marsiske, M. (2008). The relationship between pain and functional disability in Black and White older adults. Research in Nursing and Health, 31, 341-354.
- Yoon, S. L., & Godwin, A. (2007). Enhancing self-management in children with sickle cell disease through playing a CD-ROM educational game: A pilot study. Pediatric Nursing, 33(1), 60-63, 72.
- Yoon, S. L., & Black, S. (2006). Comprehensive, integrative management of pain for patients with sickle cell disease. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 12, 995-1001.
- Yoon, S. L. (2006). Complementary and alternative medicine among older adults in the United States: Current evidence and future directions. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 3(1), 73-89.
- Yoon, S. L., & Schaffer, S. D. (2006). Herbal, prescribed, and over the counter drug use in older women: Prevalence of drug interactions. Geriatric Nursing, 27, 118-129.
- Yoon, S. L. (2006). Racial/ethnic differences in self-reported health problems and herbal use among older women. Journal of the National Medical Association, 98, 918-925.
- Yoon, S. L. , Horne, C. H., & Adams, C. (2004). Herbal product use by African American older women. Clinical Nursing Research, 13, 271-288.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2004). Perceived health promotion practice by older women: Use of herbal products. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 30(7), 9-15.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2004). Accruing the Sample in Survey Research. Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research, 5(2). Online Available, http://www.snrs.org
- Yoon, S. L., Wolfe, S., Yucha, C. B., & Tsai, P. (2002). Research support by doctoral-granting colleges/schools of nursing. Journal of Professional Nursing, 18(1), 16-21.
- Schaffer, S. D., & Yoon, S. L. (2001). Evidence-based methods to enhance medication adherence. The Nurse Practitioner: American Journal of Primary HealthCare, 26(12), 44, 50-54.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2001). Herbal products and conventional medicines used by community-residing older women. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 33, 51-59.