Saunjoo Yoon, PhD, RN
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-1087
Dr. Yoon teaches courses in Adult Health nursing (clinical courses), Research to undergraduate, Research utilization to masters track students, and Quantitative measurement to Doctoral students.
Dr. Yoon is mainly interested in the utilization of complementary and alternative therapies (CAM) for health promotion and managing chronic illness in older adults. She has completed series of studies related to the use of dietary supplements among older adults. Those are herbal use among older adults in difference ethnic groups and effect of the dietary supplements to manage chronic and debilitating symptoms (e.g., pain). She is also interested in exploring the effects of non-pharmacological modality (massage therapy and acupressure) to reduce pain for the persons with chronic pain, sleep, and/or cancer, and the CAM use and diet modification to manage irritable bowel syndrome among adults. Her research interest also includes examining the relationship between utilization of complementary and alternative medicine and health care disparities in diverse ethnic groups.
Dr. Yoon serves as a Chair of the Research, Scholarship, and Sabbatical Committee, Chair of the Alpha Theta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society, is a member of the International Affairs Committee (IAC) of the CON Faculty Organization, and a Council member of the University McNair Scholars Program. She is a member of Florida Nurses Association, the Southern Nursing Research Society, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, and American Geriatrics Society.
Clinical practice area/expertise
Dr. Yoon’s area of clinical expertise is Oncology Nursing.
Dr. Yoon received her BSN in Nursing at Seoul National University (Korea). She received her MSN in Adult Health Nursing and her PhD in Nursing at the University of Florida, Gainesville FL.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Keane, D., Urbano, T., & Moshiree, B. (in press). Clinical evaluation of liquid placebos for the herbal medicinal product STW5 in healthy volunteers. Complementary Therapies in Medicine.
- Lee, Y-S., Baek, J-D., Yang, K., & Yoon, S. L. (in press). Relationship between physical activity on prevalence, awareness, and treatment of low femoral bone density in U. S. older adults. American Journal of Health Promotion.
- Bevil, C. A., Cohen, M. Z., Sherlock, J. R., Yoon, S. L., & Yucha, C. B. (2012). Research support in doctoral-granting schools of nursing: A decade later. Journal of Professional Nursing. 28, 74-81.
- Horgas, A. L., Yoon, S. L., & Grall, M. (2012). Pain management in older adults. In M. Boltz, E. Capezuti, T. Fulmer, & D. .Zwicker (Eds.), Evidence-Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols for Best Practice (4th ed., pp. 246-267). New York: Springer.
- Yoon, S. L., Moshiree, B., & Grundmann, O. (2011). Recent developments in the use of pre- and probiotics for irritable bowel syndrome. European Gastroenterology & Hepatology Review, 7 (4). 237-241.
- Shuster, J., Anton, S., Theriaque, D., & Yoon, S. L. (2011). Control in the middle (CIM) for three-arm crossover studies. Planta Medica, 77, 1473-1476.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Koepp, L., & Farrell, L. (2011). Symptom management in adults with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Review of literature. Alternative Medicine Review, 16 (2). 134-151.
- Grundmann, O., Yoon, S. L., & Moshiree, B. (2010). Current developments for the diagnosis and treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 16, 3638-3645. Grundmann, O., & Yoon, S.L. (2010). Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – Epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment – An update for healthcare practitioners. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology,25, 691-699.
- Weber, B. A., Derrico, D., Yoon, S., & Sherwill-Navarro, P. (2009). Educating patients to evaluate web-based health care information: The GATOR approach to healthy surfing. Journal of Clinical Nursing,19, 1371-1377.
- Schaffer, S. D., Yoon, S. L., & Zdrojewski, I. (2009). Smoking cessation: Potentially risky effects on prescribed medications. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18, 1533-1540.
- Horgas, A. L., & Yoon, S. L. (2008). Pain management in older adults. In E. Capezuti, D. Zwicker, M. Mezey, & T. Fulmer, (Eds.), Evidence-Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols for Best Practice (3rd ed., pp. 199-222). New York: Springer.
- Horgas, A. L., Yoon, S. L., Nichols, A., & Marsiske, M. (2008). The relationship between pain and functional disability in Black and White older adults. Research in Nursing and Health, 31, 341-354.
- Yoon, S. L., & Godwin, A. (2007). Enhancing self-management in children with sickle cell disease through playing a CD-ROM educational game: A pilot study. Pediatric Nursing, 33(1), 60-63, 72.
- Yoon, S. L., & Black, S. (2006). Comprehensive, integrative management of pain for patients with sickle cell disease. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 12, 995-1001.
- Yoon, S. L. (2006). Complementary and alternative medicine among older adults in the United States: Current evidence and future directions. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 3(1), 73-89.
- Yoon, S. L., & Schaffer, S. D. (2006). Herbal, prescribed, and over the counter drug use in older women: Prevalence of drug interactions. Geriatric Nursing, 27, 118-129.
- Yoon, S. L. (2006). Racial/ethnic differences in self-reported health problems and herbal use among older women. Journal of the National Medical Association, 98, 918-925.
- Yoon, S. L. , Horne, C. H., & Adams, C. (2004). Herbal product use by African American older women. Clinical Nursing Research, 13, 271-288.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2004). Perceived health promotion practice by older women: Use of herbal products. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 30(7), 9-15.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2004). Accruing the Sample in Survey Research. Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research, 5 (2). Online Available, http://www.snrs.org
- Yoon, S. L., Wolfe, S., Yucha, C. B., & Tsai, P. (2002). Research support by doctoral-granting colleges/schools of nursing. Journal of Professional Nursing, 18(1), 16-21.
- Schaffer, S. D., & Yoon, S. L. (2001). Evidence-based methods to enhance medication adherence. The Nurse Practitioner: American Journal of Primary HealthCare, 26(12), 44, 50-54.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2001). Herbal products and conventional medicines used by community-residing older women. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 33, 51-59.