Saunjoo Yoon, PhD, RN
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-1087
Dr. Yoon teaches both clinical and didactic nursing courses for undergraduate and accelerated BSN students. In addition, Dr. Yoon mentors Honors, McNair Scholars, and doctoral students (both PhD and DNP).
Dr. Yoon is focused on the use of complementary therapies (CAM) for symptom management of chronic illnesses in adult populations, particularly symptoms that are difficult to manage with standards of care in current practices. Her research areas are the following: 1) CAM interventions for symptom management in adults with cancers of the gastrointestinal tract, 2) improvement of treatment outcomes and quality of life using mechanism-based CAM for symptom management, and 3) symptom management for pancreatic cancer using complementary therapies as part of the palliative care. Other areas of interest include symptom management of chronic conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome and ovarian cancer. She completed studies on the use of dietary supplements to manage chronic pain and the effectiveness of CAM for chronic GI symptom management. In addition, she has completed a feasibility study to improve appetite and slow weight loss among adults with cancers of the GI tract. In 2014, she received funding from the UF Opportunity Seed Fund to conduct a pilot study regarding the use of acupuncture to manage cancer-related anorexia and cachexia in patients with GI cancer. This study has begun and is currently recruiting participants. In the future, Dr. Yoon would like to explore how well non-pharmacological modalities (e.g., acupuncture, massage therapy, acupressure, yoga) can reduce symptoms such as pain fatigue, neuropathy and appetite loss in persons with various types of cancers to improve physical functioning and quality of life. Current studies that are ongoing are: 1) Impact of Mechanism-based Acupuncture Intervention to Improve Weight Loss in GI Cancer Patients with Cachexia (NCT#02148159), and 2) Progression of Weight Loss in Patients with Gastrointestinal Cancer.
Dr. Yoon is a chair of the Search committee as well as a member of the Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society and Oncology Nursing Society. She is also a Chair of UF McNair Council for the McNair Scholars Program at University of Florida. Since 2004, she has been serving as a reviewer for various journals.
Dr. Yoon received her BSN in Nursing at Seoul National University (Korea). She received her MSN in Adult Health Nursing and her PhD in Nursing at the University of Florida, Gainesville FL.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Williams, J. J., & Carriere, G. (accepted for publication). Novel intervention with acupuncture for cancer anorexia-cachexia in patients with gastrointestinal tract cancers: Feasibility study. Oncology Nursing Forum.
- Grundmann, G., Yoon, S. L., & Williams, J. J. (in press). Influence of acupuncture on bioelectrical impedance measures in patients with gastrointestinal cancer-results of a pilot study. Acupuncture in Medicine.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Williams, J.J., Carriere, G., & Gordan, L. (2014). Cancer-associated anorexia and cachexia in adults with GI tract cancer: Novel intervention with acupuncture. Oncology Nursing Forum, 41(2), E81. [abstract]
- Zapata, E. & Yoon, S. L. (2014). Ovarian cancer: Improving quality of life outcomes from diagnosis through treatment. Oncology Nursing Forum, 41(2), E71. [abstract]
- Grundmann, O., & Yoon, S. L. (2014). The role of complementary and alternative medicines in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome-An integrative review. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 20 (2), 346-362.
- Yoon, S. L., & Kim, J. H. (2013). Prevalence and factors contributing to the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) in rural older women with chronic pain in Korea. Applied Nursing Research, 26(4), 186-191.
- Grundmann, O., & Yoon, S. L. (2013). Mind-body therapies for functional bowel disorders – a review of recent clinical trials. European Journal of Integrative Medicine, 5 (4), 296-307.
- Yoon, S. L., & Kim, J. H. (2013). Job-related stress and emotional labor with depressive symptoms among Korean nurses. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 45 (2), 1-8.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Williams, J.J., & Carriere, G. (2012). Acupuncture as a novel intervention to improve appetite in patients with cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. Oncology Nursing Forum, 39 (6), E511-E547. Abstract # 1423759. DOI. 10.1188/12.ONF.E511-E547.
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Keane, D., Urbano, T., & Moshiree, B. (2012). Clinical evaluation of liquid placebos for the herbal medicinal product STW5 in healthy volunteers. Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 20, 267-274.
- Lee, Y-S., Baek, J-D., Yang, K., & Yoon, S. L. (2012). Relationship between physical activity on prevalence, awareness, and treatment of low femoral bone density in U. S. older adults. American Journal of Health Promotion, 27(1), 2-9.
- Bevil, C. A., Cohen, M. Z., Sherlock, J. R., Yoon, S. L., & Yucha, C. B. (2012). Research support in doctoral-granting schools of nursing: A decade later. Journal of Professional Nursing, 28, 74-81.
- Horgas, A. L., Yoon, S. L., & Grall, M. (2012). Pain management in older adults. In M. Boltz, E. Capezuti, T. Fulmer, & D. .Zwicker (Eds.), Evidence-Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols for Best Practice (4th ed., pp. 246-267). New York: Springer.
- Yoon, S. L., Moshiree, B., & Grundmann, O. (2011). Recent developments in the use of pre- and probiotics for irritable bowel syndrome. European Gastroenterology & Hepatology Review, 7 (4). 237-241.
- Shuster, J., Anton, S., Theriaque, D., & Yoon, S. L. (2011). Control in the middle (CIM) for three-arm crossover studies. Planta Medica, 77, 1473-1476.
- Jonas, J., Horgas, A., & Yoon, S. (2011). Use of complementary and alternative therapies to manage cancer-related symptoms in hospitalized patients. Journal of Undergraduate Research, 12 (3). http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091523/
- Yoon, S. L., Grundmann, O., Koepp, L., & Farrell, L. (2011). Symptom management in adults with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Review of literature. Alternative Medicine Review, 16 (2). 134-151.
- Grundmann, O., Yoon, S. L., & Moshiree, B. (2010). Current developments for the diagnosis and treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Current Pharmaceutical Design, 16, 3638-3645.
- Grundmann, O., & Yoon, S.L. (2010). Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) – Epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment – An update for healthcare practitioners. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 25, 691-699.
- Weber, B. A., Derrico, D., Yoon, S., & Sherwill-Navarro, P. (2009). Educating patients to evaluate web-based health care information: The GATOR approach to healthy surfing. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19, 1371-1377.
- Schaffer, S. D., Yoon, S. L., & Zdrojewski, I. (2009). Smoking cessation: Potentially risky effects on prescribed medications. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18, 1533-1540.
- Horgas, A. L., & Yoon, S. L. (2008). Pain management in older adults. In E. Capezuti, D. Zwicker, M.
- Mezey, & T. Fulmer, (Eds.), Evidence-Based Geriatric Nursing Protocols for Best Practice (3rd ed., pp. 199-222). New York: Springer.
- Horgas, A. L., Yoon, S. L., Nichols, A., & Marsiske, M. (2008). The relationship between pain and functional disability in Black and White older adults. Research in Nursing and Health, 31, 341-354.
- Yoon, S. L., & Godwin, A. (2007). Enhancing self-management in children with sickle cell disease through playing a CD-ROM educational game: A pilot study. Pediatric Nursing, 33(1), 60-63, 72.
- Yoon, S. L., & Black, S. (2006). Comprehensive, integrative management of pain for patients with sickle cell disease. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 12, 995-1001.
- Yoon, S. L. (2006). Complementary and alternative medicine among older adults in the United States: Current evidence and future directions. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 3(1), 73-89.
- Yoon, S. L., & Schaffer, S. D. (2006). Herbal, prescribed, and over the counter drug use in older women: Prevalence of drug interactions. Geriatric Nursing, 27, 118-129.
- Yoon, S. L. (2006). Racial/ethnic differences in self-reported health problems and herbal use among older women. Journal of the National Medical Association, 98, 918-925.
- Yoon, S. L. , Horne, C. H., & Adams, C. (2004). Herbal product use by African American older women. Clinical Nursing Research, 13, 271-288.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2004). Perceived health promotion practice by older women: Use of herbal products. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 30(7), 9-15.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2004). Accruing the Sample in Survey Research. Southern Online Journal of Nursing Research, 5 (2). Online Available, http://www.snrs.org
- Yoon, S. L., Wolfe, S., Yucha, C. B., & Tsai, P. (2002). Research support by doctoral-granting colleges/schools of nursing. Journal of Professional Nursing, 18(1), 16-21.
- Schaffer, S. D., & Yoon, S. L. (2001). Evidence-based methods to enhance medication adherence. The Nurse Practitioner: American Journal of Primary HealthCare, 26(12), 44, 50-54.
- Yoon, S. L., & Horne, C. H. (2001). Herbal products and conventional medicines used by community- residing older women. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 33, 51-59.