Susan D. Schaffer, PhD, ARNP, BC
University of Florida
PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Schaffer teaches DNP role courses and Family Nurse Practitioner clinical management courses. She is also the Chair of the Department of Women’s, Children’s and Family Nursing.
Dr. Schaffer is interested in developing strategies to improve adherence to chronic medication in adults and in drug/herbal interactions. She is also interested in interprofessional education.
Dr. Schaffer is currently an alternate member of member of the Health Sciences Institutional Review Board (IRB01). She is a member of Florida Nurses Association and Sigma Theta Tau. She is a member of the Shands Credentialing Committee and the Shands Patient Safety and Nursing Quality Council.
Dr. Schaffer received her BS in Nursing and her MS in Family Nursing at Old Dominion University. She received her PhD in Nursing at George Mason University.
- Gleason, R. P. & Schaffer, S. D (in press). “There is no free lunch”: Strategies to prevent industry influence. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Michael, M., Schaffer, S., Egan, P., Little, B., & Pritchard, P. (in press). Improving Wait Times and Patient Satisfaction in Primary Care. Journal for Healthcare Quality.
- Bruner, A. C & Schaffer, S. D. (in press). Diagnosing Skin Lesions: Clinical Considerations for Primary Care Practitioners. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners.
- Schaffer, S. D. & Yoon, S. L. (2009). Smoking Cessation: Potentially Risky Effects on Prescribed Medications. Journal of Clinical Nursing 18 1533-1540
- Schaffer, S. D. & Yarandi, H. (2007). Measuring Asthma Self-Management Knowledge in Adults. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioner 19, 530-535.
- Yoon, S. L., & Schaffer, S. (2006). Herbal, prescribed, and over-the-counter drug use in older women: Prevalence of drug interactions.Geriatric Nursing, 27,118-129.
- Schaffer, S. & Yucha, C. (2005). Physiological Wet Laboratory Facilities in Colleges of Nursing.Biological Research in Nursing 7(2), 130-134.
- Calderon, K. S., Yucha, C. B., & Schaffer, S. (2005). Obesity-related cardiovascular risk factors: Intervention recommendations to decrease adolescent obesity. Journal of Pediatric Nursing 20(1), 3-14.
- Schaffer, S., & Yucha, C. (2004). Relaxation and Pain Management. American Journal of Nursing,104,(8),75-82.
- Schaffer, S. & Tian, L. (2004). Promoting Adherence: Effects of Theory-based Asthma Education. Clinical Nursing Research An International Journal, 13 (1), 69-89.
- Alexander, D., Schaffer, S. & Zeilman, C. (2003). Noninfectious Liver Disorders. The Nurse Practitioner: American Journal of Primary Health Care, 28(12), 12-27.
- Schaffer, S. (2002). Clearing the air: Brief strategies for smoking cessation. Topics in Advanced Practice Nursing e-Journal, 2(1). (web link)
- Schaffer, S., & Yoon, Saun-Joo (2001). Evidence-based methods to enhance medication adherence. The Nurse Practitioner: American Journal of Primary Health Care, 26(12) 44, 50-55.
- Schaffer, S. & Houston, J. (In Press). ). “Sexually Transmitted Infections” in 4th ed. of Women’s Health: A Primary Care Clinical Guide. Pearson.
- Treloar, D. & Schaffer, S. (in press). “Women and HIV infection” in 4th. ed. of Women’s Health: A Primary Care Clinical Guide, Pearson.