Resources for Doctoral Students
Along with doctoral students’ faculty advisors, the staff and facilities of the Office for Research Support (ORS) are available to assist students with planning, obtaining funding for, conducting, and disseminating research.
Resources and Services
To request any of the services listed below, please fill out a support request form, attach all relevant material, and return it to the Office Manager by email (email@example.com ) or hard copy (Rm. 2201, HPNP Complex). Please allow 10 business days for the completion of all requests unless otherwise indicated in the description of a specific service.
- Research Funding
- Protection of Human Subjects
- Poster Presentations
- Laboratory Facilities
- Research Seminars & Writing Support Group
- Resources for Writers
- Psychosocial & Behavioral Instruments
The Graduate Student Lounge in room 3233 in the HPNP complex is available specifically for graduate student use. The Graduate Student Lounge, which is open for the use of doctoral and master’s students during business hours, has a couch, a large table, and a number of study carrels. Lockers are available for day use, but students must provide their own locks. As with the rest of the HPNP complex, wireless access to the network is available.
General Writing Help:
- The University Writing Program (UWP) offers free individual assistance to undergraduate and graduate UF students who wish to develop their writing skills as well as better understand the writing process. Students of all levels and disciplines are welcome: http://writing.ufl.edu/writing-center/
- Faculty can also arrange for the UWP to visit a classroom to increase student awareness of the free reading and writing assistance that UF offers: http://teachingcenter.ufl.edu/rwcenter/faculty/classroom_visit.html
- The UF Teaching Center offers free assistance in study skills as well as test preparation for college classes and standardized tests such as the SAT, GRE , and GMAT: http://www.teachingcenter.ufl.edu/index.html
Assistance for Advanced Written and Oral Communication Skills
- The UF Dial Center for Written and Oral Communication offers advanced writing help (e.g. research proposals, journal articles, dissertations, STM—scientific, technical, and medical—publishing) via fee-based workshops for faculty and students. It is important to note that these workshops may be hosted by a college: http://web.cwoc.ufl.edu/cwocsite/writingworkshops.htm
- The Dial Center also offers free help for students and faculty who wish to hone their public speaking and presentation skills: http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/swebster/labindex.htm
Assistance for ESL Students
- The University Writing Program (UWP) offers free, individual tutoring for ESL students who wish to improve their writing skills: http://writing.ufl.edu/writing-center/for-students/esl-assistance/
- The Language Learning Center on campus offers free language-learning multimedia in their lab: http://www.clas.ufl.edu/llc/
- The Center for Academic Spoken English offers fee-based courses in oral English Language skills: http://ase.ufl.edu/ Tutors may also be available for a fee.
- The English Language Institute at UF offers fee-based, English language courses aimed to improve academic reading, writing, and spoken English skills.http://www.eli.ufl.edu/ (Tutors may also be available for a fee.)
- The Alachua County Library offers free instruction in English language skills at various sites in Alachua County: http://www.aclib.us/services/literacy/programs/english-speakers-other-languages-esol-community-based