Uniform and Equipment Guidelines for BSN Students
Students in the College of Nursing (CON) are expected to convey a professional image when representing the College in a variety of settings. This includes clean, wrinkle free clothing and clean shoes. Students not in adherence will be unable to participate in learning experiences. All baccalaureate students entering in May and August will follow the guidelines below.
Health Science Center (HSC) Gator1 Identification Badge:
A Health Science Center (HSC) Gator1 Identification Badge MUST be displayed at ALL times in ALL settings, whether on or off campus as a student. Students who do not adhere to this requirement will not be permitted to attend or participate.
Badges can be obtained through the ID Card Services Office UF Health Science Center Branch. Specific information on the hours and location of this office is available here: https://www.bsd.ufl.edu/G1C/idcard/location.asp. There is a fee for the badge, and proof of acceptance into the College of Nursing is needed. It is important to remember that students must identify themselves as College of Nursing/Health Science Center students to receive the correct ID badge.
College of Nursing Backpack
Each student will be issued a CON backpack that contains the following supplies:
- BP Cuff
- Key Ring CPR mask
College of Nursing Uniform Requirements
There are two types of uniforms required in the BSN program for undergraduate students. Those uniforms are:
- Community Uniform – used in a variety of laboratory, community, outpatient, and mental health settings. Consists of khaki pants of your choice with the custom CON polo shirt. Pants must be full length, no cropped or Capri length. Shoes must be nonporous closed toe and heel.
- Lab & Acute Settings Uniform – required for laboratory and acute care settings for the first 3½ semesters of the program. Consists of navy scrub pants and the custom CON navy scrub top. Students are required to wear white socks, stockings, underwear, and belts. In colder weather, white or navy shirts only may be worn underneath the navy scrub top. Shoes must be closed heel and toe, nonporous, and primarily white. Logos are acceptable but shoes must be primarily white. If you are unsure, please contact your academic advisor.
Students MUST purchase the three (3) custom items for these uniforms from Meridy’s Uniforms. Orders to Meridy’s need to be placed as soon as possible but not later than the dates indicated on the attached Meridy’s ordering instruction form. These items include:
- At least one custom CON navy or white polo shirt (your choice).
- At least one custom CON navy scrub top.
- At least one pair of navy scrub pants.
Each student is required to purchase a stethoscope which ranges in cost from approximately $50-$150 depending upon the features and quality. The University of Florida Student Nurse Association has organized a special stethoscope order for newly admitted students. More information on that order is available here: UFSNA Stethoscope Ordering Inforamtion
Students are required to wear a watch with a second hand. Cell phones are not permitted to be used as your watch.
Additional requirements for certain clinical practice areas are found in the Undergraduate Student Handbook and individual course syllabi.