The University of Florida College of Nursing celebrated its research enterprise March 31 at the HPNP Complex with the college’s annual Research Day and Malasanos Lectureship.
Research Day participants enjoyed a keynote address from Dr. Debra Lyon, executive associate dean and Thomas M. and Irene B. Kirbo Endowed Chair at the College of Nursing, as well as a presentation from Dr. Erik Black on “Innovations in Education.” Black is an assistant professor of pediatrics and educational technology in pediatrics at UF’s College of Medicine.
The Malasanos Distinguished Lectureship brings distinguished speakers to the university annually to discuss a wide variety of health topics of interest to clinicians, patients and the public. The Malasanos Distinguished Lectureship was endowed in 1992 in honor of John Malasanos, husband of former College of Nursing Dean Lois Malasanos.
As part of the Research Day festivities, the college also distributed a number of awards.
The Joyce K. Stechmiller Fellowship for PhD Nursing Students is awarded to an outstanding PhD student who is completing their dissertation work, which a preference for those who have entered candidacy. Recipients receive $1,000 towards their educational expenses. The award supports PhD education and recognizes the advancement of student research and scholarly work.
- Brittany Gannon, R.N., B.S.N.
- Elizabeth Fehlberg, B.S.N.
The Lois Knowles Award for Excellence in Gerontological Nursing is selected annually by the Biobehavioral Nursing Science faculty and is selected from 2016-17 graduating students. The award recognizes the most outstanding graduate student whose research, scholarship or practice activities have promoted the specialty of Gerontological Nursing.
- Karah Cripe Sickler, D.N.P.
Two poster viewing sessions, as well as E-poster presentations and lunch, capped off the afternoon and 2017 Research Day and Malasanos Lectureship.
2017 Research Day Poster & Presentation Awards
First Place: The Comfort Shawl Project: Students’ Reactions to Gifting Shawls in Palliative Care
- Sarah Weaver; Natasha Narvel; Victoria Baldassari; Lauren Calhoun; Kelsie McCleary; Marielle Pezzella; Logan Redmond; Natalie Stangl; Holly Tackett; Emily VanPuymbrouck; Paula Turpening; Sheri Kittelson; Susan Bluck; Ann L. Horgas, PhD, RN, FAAN; Toni L. Glover, PhD, GNP-BC, ACHPN
Second Place: Nurse Work-Related Fatigue, Care Delivery and Patient Outcomes: An International Perspective
- Christina Lewis, BSN Student; Yaqin Wang, BSHE; Brian C. Peach, MSN, RN, CCRN; Jeannie P. Cimiotti, PhD, RN, FAAN
First Place: Phase One of HANDS Implementation: Training Nurses to use Standardized Nursing Languages on an Inpatient Unit
- Jaclyn Rothberg, BSHE, MSN, ARNP, FNP-BC; Gail Keenan, PhD, RN, FAAN; Alyssa Alvarez, BSN, RN, DNP; Sydney Mason, BSN, RN, DNP
Second Place: Inpatient Newborn Hearing Screening
- Marcella Johnson, BSN, RN; Miriam Ezenwa, PhD
First Place: Hyponatremia and Hospital-Acquired Falls
- Elizabeth Fehlberg, BSN, RN; Robert J. Lucero, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN; Michael T. Weaver PhD, RN, FAAN; Anna M. McDaniel PhD, RN, FAAN; A. Michelle Chandler; Phyllis A. Richey, PhD; Lorraine C. Mion PhD, RN, FAAN; Ronald I. Shorr MD, MS, FACP
Second Place: Repetitive Exposure to Maternal Voice in Premature Infants: Preliminary Finding on Heart Rate Variability
- Khlood Bubshait; Yasmine Alabbasi, MSN; Daphna Barbeau, MD; Katelyn Cornelius, BSN student; Charlene Krueger, PhD, ARNP