The University of Florida College of Nursing played host to its eighth Dorothy M. Smith Nursing Leadership Conference on January 24 at the Reitz Union on the UF campus. Held every other year since 2004, our DMS Conference tackles the most pressing and informative topics affecting health care and nursing.
Sponsored by the Thomas M. and Irene B. Kirbo Charitable Trust, UF Health, Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Theta Chapter, and the UF Nursing Alumni Council, the 2018 installment of the DMS Nursing Leadership Conference featured a group of approximately 350 gathered in the Grand Ballroom to “Unleash Innovation & Creativity to Transform Health Care.”
“I truly believe that we honored Dorothy M. Smith’s spirit and distinguished legacy with our thoughtful approach to entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship, social entrepreneurship and innovation,” DMS chair Dr. Gail Keenan said. “We have indeed been challenged to unleash innovation and creativity to transform health care.”
The college kicked off 2018 DMS festivities with a Special Guests & Awards Dinner on January 23, where a number of DMS Leadership Awards were presented:
Excellence in Innovation: Celebrate Primary Care – Lisa C. Magary, D.N.P., ARNP, CPNP, FNP-BC, and Della M. Tuten, M.S.N., ARNP, FNP-BC
Excellence in Entrepreneurship – Patrice C. Moore, M.S.N., B.S.N., ARNP, R.N.
Excellence in Social Entrepreneurship – Patricia G. Kitchen, M.S., B.S.N.
Excellence in Intrapreneurship – Julie E. Whitney, M.S.N., R.N., NEA-BC
Excellence in Health Care Leadership – Gemma M. Rosello, M.S.N., M.B.A.
DMS Conference Presentations and Videos
For all presentation topics and slides visit http://dmsconference.nursing.ufl.edu/agenda/ or see below.
A replay of all presentations in the Grand Ballroom can be found on UF’s Mediasite here: https://mediasite.video.ufl.edu/Mediasite/Catalog/Full/771344ad6a7d47319d243aab3bceed8d21
- Dr. Saurabha Bhatnagar, Associate Director of PM&R Residency Program, Harvard Medical School | Building Out Your Innovative Ideas at Work
- Dr. Saurabha Bhatnagar, Associate Director of PM&R Residency Program, Harvard Medical School | Generating and Moving Your Creative Ideas
- Dr. Patrick Monahan: email@example.com, Behavioral Scientist, Social Entrepreneur & Professor of Biostatistics at Indiana University, and Founder of Home at Last | Employs and trains those affected by homelessness, mental health issues and more to renovate homes; which are then leased to mental health organizations for transitional housing or low-income families | Addendum: Rest Up App
- The afternoon also featured a Nurse Entrepreneur Panel, featuring prominent UF Nursing alumni Paul Ingledue and Carr Scott, and can be viewed on the afternoon video replay
Dorothy M. Smith Lunch Presentation
- Dr. Kim Curry, Retired UF College of Nursing Associate Dean for Student Affairs | Dorothy M. Smith, Her Legacy of Innovation
- Lisa Magary & Della Tuten, Co-Founders of Celebrate Primary Care | Concierge Health Care: Unlimited Access to Your Provider
- Julie Whitney, VA Innovators Network | A Safe Space for Testing New Ideas and Joining Forces with Stakeholders Across the Community
- Rodney Guico, Director of the Florida Engineering Experiment Station Network: University of Florida Engineering Innovation Institute | Fostering a Culture of Innovation and Developing a Local High-Tech Industry
- Michael Morris, Academic Director of the UF College of Business Entrepreneurship & Innovation Center | Teaching, Coaching, Inspiring: Providing Tools and Experience to Creatively Pursue Opportunities and Innovations
- Jim O’Connell, Assistant Vice President and Director of UF Office of Technology Licensing | Transferring Your Discovery to the Market
- Ben Lok and Davis Massias, Co-Founders of Shadow Health | Educational Software for Interactive Learning Environments for Nursing and Allied Health Education Programs