DNP Residency Reflection

How My Internship in D.C. Empowered Me to be an Advocate for Nurses and Patients

By Ulyana Arzamasova, UF College of Nursing DNP student

DC

I am excited to graduate in May from the University of Florida College of Nursing’s Doctor of Nursing Practice program and become a primary health care provider, but my experience in the DNP residency with the American Association of Colleges of Nursing in Washington, D.C., taught me that my responsibility goes beyond the provider’s office. I am better prepared now to inform patients about the policy issues surrounding their care, and I have the knowledge, ability and power to advocate for improvements in health, health care and my profession.

The residency is an integral part of the DNP curriculum, and I was looking forward to it since my very first semester. What makes the residency so unique and exciting is that students can create their own experiences tailored to their interests and career goals by meeting the residency objectives. It is all part of the college’s teaching mission that is centered on inspiring graduates “who deliver excellent personalized nursing care, provide leadership to the profession, and advance nursing science.” My College of Nursing mentor, Associate Professor Robert Lucero, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN, encouraged me to think of how this residency would benefit me and my career in the future. As a mentor, he helped me to think outside of the box and brainstorm ideas beyond the clinical setting. I wanted to learn more about the issues surrounding the profession of nurse practitioners nationwide and get an understanding of how nurse practitioners fit into the big picture of health care. I applied for the Government Affairs Internship with the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, or AACN. The process involved faculty recommendations and multiple interviews, so I was ecstatic when I landed the position.

dc
Arzamasova (center) with her mentor Associate Professor Robert Lucero, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN, (right) and Dr. Colleen Leners (left), AACN’s director of policy. Dr. Leners is also an advanced nurse practitioner with over 30 years of experience including front-line military, critical care, trauma, emergency services and rehabilitation.

dc
The AACN Government Affairs and Policy Department team on Arzamasova’s last day of her internship.

I spent the fall 2018 semester working at the AACN Government Affairs and Policy, or GAP, department. I worked with the GAP team tracking current policy and legislation proposals and reaching out to legislators on behalf of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, or APRNs. I attended meetings with congressmen and the surgeon general, public hearings, summits, post-election briefings, media receptions and many more events. I learned about current issues in health care, efforts to improve health care through policy and legislation, and, most importantly, the role of APRNs in leading health care improvements. I prepared draft letters and comments to legislators from the AACN on behalf of the nursing profession to address issues such as health provider shortages, barriers to health care access, the opioid epidemic and APRN scope-of-practice restrictions. I also wrote short articles for the “AACN’s Washington Weekly” newsletter to inform the public about legislation updates and other events in health care, particularly as they relate to the APRN profession. I gained first-hand experience of how bills move through Congress and then are signed into law. At the AACN, we celebrated a victory when the SUPPORT (Substance Use-Disorder Prevention that Promotes Opioid Recovery and Treatment) for Patients and Communities Act was passed in Congress and later signed into law. Provisions of the law permanently authorize APRNs to prescribe medication-assisted treatments for patients with opioid use disorders. It was a big step toward improving patients’ access to treatment and increasing APRNs’ authority.

“…My experience at AACN taught me that my responsibility goes beyond
the provider’s office. I am better prepared now to inform patients
about the policy issues surrounding their care.”

— Ulyana Arzamasova

dc
Arzamasova attended an event hosted by the “Washington Post” for the congresswomen newly elected for the 116th Congress.

I gained a great appreciation for the AACN’s advocacy efforts on behalf of nurses and their patients. It was very empowering for a nurse like me to learn that the large nursing organization, comprised of a great team of bright and enthusiastic individuals, is dedicated to improving our profession and the health care for our patients. I also gained a better appreciation for the fact that the role of APRNs goes beyond providing clinical care and health recommendations. APRNs – and other nurses – have the ability and responsibility to lead advocacy efforts and influence policy toward improving our nation’s health care and public health. And my internship at AACN gave me the knowledge and the tools to do that. I have a broader perspective on the issues surrounding my profession and a deeper appreciation of the value of nursing and advanced practice nursing. I left the doors of the AACN empowered to advocate on behalf of my patients and my profession and to influence change and improvements in health legislation.

dc
Mary Daly and Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice Summit.
dc
Arzamasova attended the Summit on the “Business of Health” at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.