Historic Number of Faculty Become Certified Nurse Educators

Since 1956, the University of Florida College of Nursing has employed expert teachers and researchers who are dedicated to providing the highest-quality educational experience for the next generation of nurses. This year, 10 faculty members demonstrated their expertise in nursing education as a specialty area of practice through the National League for Nursing’s Certified Nurse Educator, or CNE. Now, nearly 50% of all clinical faculty members in the college hold this esteemed certification.

The CNE credential is considered a mark of distinction for nursing faculty, communicating to students, peers and the academic and health care communities that the highest standards of excellence are being met. The 10 faculty members at the College of Nursing who passed the CNE this year are: Sally Bethart, Anne Dillard, Lisa Ferguson, Shavondra Huggins, Charlene Krueger, Toni Lindsey, Michael Maymi, Brooke Russo, Sallie Shipman and Jennifer Vendt. They join the eight other faculty who already obtained the CNE, to bring the college’s total number to 18.

“Endorsement as a Certified Nurse Educator highlights my commitment to students and to life-long learning,” said Anne Dillard DNP, BSN, MSN, RN, AGCNS-BC, CNE, clinical assistant professor. “Preparation for certification with my colleagues increased our bond as a team, expanded my professional toolkit and was a highlight in the challenging year of 2020. Moving forward, I can confidently say that all of my work will be influenced by my heightened awareness of how excellence is delivered in nursing education.” “I am so proud of our 10 Gator Nursing faculty members who passed the exam to become Certified Nurse Educators through the National League for Nursing this year,” said Anna M. McDaniel, PhD, RN, FAAN, dean and the Linda Harman Aiken Professor. “They have shown their leadership and true commitment to our students and nursing education through this certification.”