Hussah Bubshait

HussahThird-year PhD student Hussah Bubshait, MSN, RN, shared a little about her time in the program as a nurse researcher and parent to two toddlers.

Research Interests: Breastfeeding, Maternal mental health, ‘Kangaroo care,’ (a method of holding a baby that involves skin-to-skin contact), lactation outcomes

Mentor: Leslie Parker, PhD, APRN, NNP-BC, FAAN

“I chose the UF College of Nursing for three reasons:

First, the study plan that is offered by the college. Being in the program three years, I have found that it has all  the education and training I need to be a successful, independent researcher in the future.

Second, I want to study at the best school possible. I knew that earning a PhD degree from a top-ranked university would open doors to interesting places in the future.

Third, some of my friends were studying at the university and they gave me lots of useful information about the school, the teachers and life in Gainesville. I just love the good things they said, which makes me proud to be part of this community.

I always challenge myself to succeed and never give up. I have two children: Yahya, my son, and Haya, my daughter. I gave birth to my second child only 10 days before starting the PhD program.

As a PhD student and a mother, my day is full of responsibilities. I spend a chunk of my time reading on my research area and working on my dissertation proposal. I can’t spend a long time in the library, but I manage between housework, kids and schoolwork. Schedules are a huge part of my life in order to get everything done!”