The College of Nursing was founded in 1956 as one of the first two colleges of the J. Hillis Miller Health Center, and is one of 16 colleges at the University of Florida, a nationally ranked, public research university that is home to the Southeast’s most comprehensive academic health center. Our vision is consistent with the university’s position of national preeminence as a top-5 university, and our mission is grounded in our identity as a steward of the discipline of nursing. We are guided by our core values in all we do.
Gator Nurses care, lead and inspire.
We are driven to transform health through innovative practice, preeminent research and exceptional academic programs that demonstrate commitment to the principles of inclusion, diversity, equity and anti-racism.
To provide excellent personalized nursing care, generate research and scholarship that have an impact on practice and advance health equity and prepare graduates who care, lead and inspire.
Clinical Practice and Professional Service Mission
The college is dedicated to delivering excellent, personalized nursing care, influencing evidence-based practice and providing leadership in implementing practice models that address social determinants of health and health equity. We strive to develop, implement and evaluate innovative models of nursing practice that enable nurses to practice at the full extent of their education and generate value through revenue, scholarship and social impact.
IMPACT GOAL: Deliver high-quality, value-based personalized nursing care to the public through innovative practice models that influence health policy and promote social justice.
- Strengthen the infrastructure to support faculty practice and professional service across practice
- Generate multiple revenue streams through innovative clinical services, consultations, grant funding, clinical contracts and other entrepreneurial
- Advocate for policy changes that have a positive impact on achieving health equity and address the social determinants of health at the local, state, national and international
- Expand and adapt Archer Family Health Care (AFHC) clinical services in critical need areas and underserved
Research and Scholarship Mission
The college is committed to leadership in research and scholarship that improves quality of life for individuals and families, promotes population health and health equity and advances nursing practice to achieve those goals. We support a collaborative model of team science that aligns our strengths, clarifies our foci and cultivates innovation to accelerate research and scholarly productivity to advance health equity through nursing science and knowledge development.
IMPACT GOAL: Enhance quality of life and health equity by advancing nursing science and knowledge development through nationally recognized programs of research and scholarship.
- Continue to refine our collaborative model of agile team science that connects researchers, clinical faculty, students (PhD, DNP, BSN), clinical practice partners, interprofessional colleagues and community
- Transform current research infrastructure and processes to enhance efficiency, productivity, collaboration and
- Achieve national recognition for research and scholarship that advances health equity through innovative nursing
The college faculty is committed to evidence-based, high impact teaching that enhances student learning across all academic programs. We are dedicated to continuous improvement in our teaching and academic programs. We strive to create a student- centered learning environment that supports efficient educational processes and shared decision making; promotes open discussion that honors academic freedom and promotes educational responsibility; fosters inclusion and values diversity and contributes to the scholarship to teaching and learning.
IMPACT GOAL: Inspire graduates who promote health equity in the delivery of personalized nursing care, provide leadership to the profession and advance nursing science and practice.
- Provide innovative, high quality academic nursing programs to meet the workforce needs for baccalaureate-prepared nurses, doctorally prepared nurses in advanced practice roles and nurse scientists who are prepared to address social determinants of health and achieve health equity
- Systematically assess curriculum (e.g., learning materials, textbooks, syllabi) and learning experiences (e.g., assignments, simulations, case studies) to ensure adherence to antiracist values and principles of
- Recruit, nurture, prepare and graduate highly qualified students who demonstrate the experiences, diverse attributes and academic metrics that promote health equity and contribute to a rich learning environment within the
- Create a community of scholars committed to teaching excellence in contemporary pedagogy and evolving models of nursing
As an integral part of the University of Florida, a Top Ten public research university, the College of Nursing is committed to addressing the challenges facing the nursing profession and the public we serve through our practice, research and teaching. We are individuals with distinctive talents, coming together to form a community of professionals, scholars, scientists, practitioners and educators who are united in the determination to reduce health disparities and promote health equity for the citizens of the state of Florida, the nation and the world.
IMPACT GOAL: Engage all constituents to shape an organizational culture that integrates our practice excellence, innovative research and clinical scholarship, within a student-centered learning environment that demonstrates commitment to the principles of inclusion, diversity, equity and anti-racism.
- Increase efficiency and effectiveness across all missions by implementing a dynamic administrative model and shared governance processes/structure that supports sound, transparent and mission-focused decision-making.
- Strengthen the alignment of nursing practice, research and education to realize the vision for academic nursing as partners in healthcare delivery, education and research to support initiative focused on social determinants of health across practice
- Expand collaborations with the UF Health Science Center colleges and institutes and clinical enterprises to focus on entrepreneurial opportunities across missions and excellent service to the