UF College of Nursing Strategic Plan
The College of Nursing was founded in 1956 as one of the first two colleges of the J. Hillis Miller Health Center, and is one of 16 colleges at the University of Florida, a nationally ranked, public research university that is home to the Southeast’s most comprehensive academic health center. Our vision is consistent with the university’s position of national preeminence as a top-10 university, and our mission is grounded in our identity as a steward of the discipline of nursing. We are guided by our core values in all we do.
Gator Nurses care, lead, and inspire.
We are driven to transform health through innovative practice, preeminent research, and exceptional academic programs.
To provide excellent personalized nursing care, generate research and scholarship that have an impact on practice, and prepare graduates who care, lead, and inspire.
Clinical Practice and Professional Service Mission
The college is dedicated to providing excellent personalized nursing care, influencing evidence-based practice, and providing leadership in healthcare delivery, education, and the profession of nursing. We strive to develop, implement, and evaluate innovative models of nursing practice that produce value through revenue generation and cost reduction, scholarship, and social impact. Our practice excellence is foundational to achieving our college teaching and research missions.
IMPACT GOAL: Deliver high quality, value-based personalized nursing care to vulnerable populations through innovative practice models that influence health policy and social justice.
- Strengthen the infrastructure to support faculty practice and professional service
- Generate alternate revenue streams such as innovative clinical services, consultations, grant funding, clinical contracts
- Contribute to policy changes that have a positive impact on nursing practice at the local, state, national and international levels
- Expand Archer Family Health Care clinical services in critical need areas and underserved communities
Research and Scholarship Mission
The college is committed to enhancing our leadership in research and clinical scholarship that improves quality of life for individuals and families, promotes population health, and advances nursing practice to achieve those goals. We will create a collaborative model of team science that aligns our strengths, clarifies our foci and cultivates innovation to accelerate research productivity and advance nursing knowledge.
IMPACT GOAL: Improve Health and advance nursing science through nationally recognized programs of research and scholarship.
- Establish a collaborative model of agile team science that connects researchers, clinical faculty, students, clinical practice partners and interprofessional colleagues
- Evaluate current research infrastructure and processes to identify potential areas for improvement that enhance efficiency, productivity and collaboration
- Achieve national recognition for research and scholarship that advances nursing science and improves health
The college faculty is committed to evidence-based, high impact teaching that enhances student learning across all academic programs. We are dedicated to continuous improvement in our teaching and academic programs. We strive to create a student-centered learning environment that supports efficient educational processes and shared decision making, promotes open discussion that honors academic freedom and promotes educational responsibility, fosters inclusion and values diversity, and contributes to the scholarship to teaching and learning.
IMPACT GOAL: Inspire graduates who deliver excellent personalized nursing care, provide leadership to the profession, and advance nursing science.
- Provide innovative, high quality academic nursing programs to meet the growing workforce needs for baccalaureate-prepared nurses, doctorally prepared nurses in advanced practice roles, and nurse scientists
- Recruit, nurture, prepare and graduate highly qualified students who demonstrate the experiences, attributes and academic metrics to contribute to a rich learning environment within the college
- Create a community of scholars committed to teaching excellence in contemporary pedagogy and evolving models of nursing education
As an integral part of the University of Florida, a top-10 public research university, the College of Nursing is committed to addressing the challenges facing the nursing profession and the public we serve through our practice, research and teaching. We are individuals with distinctive talents, united in the determination to advance health for the citizens of the state of Florida, the nation and the world.
IMPACT GOAL: Engage all constituents to shape an organizational culture that integrates our practice excellence, innovative research and clinical scholarship, within a student-centered learning environment.
- Strengthen the alignment of nursing practice, research and education to realize the vision for academic nursing as full partners in health care delivery, education and research that is integrated and funded across all professions and missions
- Harness the “Power of Together” through excellent collaboration with the UF Health Science Center colleges and institutes, strong affiliation with the UF Health clinical enterprise, and mutual commitment to excellent service to the community