Christa L. Cook, PhD, MSN, RN, APHN-BC
University of Florida
PO Box 100197,
Gainesville, FL 32610-0197
Dr. Cook teaches a variety of clinical, didactic, and online courses across three different degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. While she has taught a range of didactic topics at the College of Nursing (community and population health, theory and research, health policy, professional socialization), her teaching expertise and passion lies in qualitative methods. She teaches the foundations course in qualitative research methods and has also offered a summer course in qualitative field methods.
Dr. Cook’s training in public health nursing has influenced her interest in social science and behavioral health research. Public health nurses have a strong understanding of the individual patient, population health, and systems of care delivery that may impact prevention, engagement, and retention in HIV care. She began to build her program of research while a doctoral student at UF and has worked closely with HIV advocates, providers, researchers, and consumers to address improving care engagement and transitions across the HIV care continuum. After her first year at UF, she competed for and received a competitive UF CTSI Training and Research Academy for Clinical and Translational Sciences (TRACTS) fellowship which has provided access to mentors and additional training in grant preparation. She is currently preparing an application to merge state surveillance databases and she seeks to longitudinally examine substance use and HIV care outcomes using population-based data. Dr. Cook also serves as a core faculty member in the Southern HIV Alcohol Research Consortium (SHARC) Center for Translational HIV Research at UF (NIAAA – U24 AA022002), which involves collaboration with faculty across Florida as well as frequent contact with the Florida Department of Health. Finally, Dr. Cook is working on a project to examine how bio-behavioral mechanisms may be associated with retention in HIV care.
At the national level, Dr. Cook is the chair of the research committee in the American Public Health Association’s Public Health Nursing section. Community involvement has been very important in her research and Dr. Cook has served on the board of local (Area 3/13)Ryan White Care Consortium for over 8 years. She also represented Area 3/13 at the State of Florida Department of Health HIV Prevention Planning Group for two years. She contributes to shared governance at the College of Nursing by serving on the faculty senate.
Area of Expertise
HIV, transitions in care, surveillance data, qualitative methods, public health, substance use, mental health, community-engaged research methods.
- University of Florida, Nursing Sciences with Minor in Public Health – Ph.D. – 2013
- University of Florida – Public Health Nursing – MSN – 2010
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill – Nursing- BSN with Honors – 1996
- University of North Carolina Chapel Hill Psychology – BA – 1990
- Cook CL, Canidate, SS, Whitehead NE, and Cook RL. (In press). Types and Delivery of Emotional Support to Promote Linkage and Engagement in HIV Care. Patient Preference and Adherence.
- Cook RL, Zhou Z, Kelso-Chichetto NE, Janelle J, Morano JP, Somboonwit C, Carter W, Ibanez GE, Ennis N, Cook CL, Cohen RA, Brumback B, Bryant K. Alcohol consumption patterns and HIV viral suppression among persons receiving HIV care in Florida: an observational study. Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2017 Sep 27;12(1):22. doi: 10.1186/s13722-017-0090-0. PubMed PMID: 28950912; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5615807.
- Lucero RJ, Frimpong JA, Fehlberg EA, Bjarnadottir RI, Weaver MT, Cook CL, Modave F, Rathore MH, Morano JP, Ibanez G, Cook RL. The Relationship Between Individual Characteristics and Interest in Using a Mobile Phone App for HIV Self-Management: Observational Cohort Study of People Living With HIV. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth 2017;5(7):e100. DOI: 10.2196/mhealth.7853. PMID: 28751298
- Cook CL, Mack J, Cottler LB. (2017) Research participation among people with HIV in Florida. Data based. AIDS Care. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2017.1338656
- Sharpe JD, Zhou Z, Escobar-Viera CG, Morano JP, Lucero RJ, Ibanez GE, Hart M, Cook CL, Cook RL. Interest in using mobile technology to help self-manage alcohol use among persons living with HIV: a Florida Cohort cross-sectional study. Substance Abuse. 2017 [Epub 2017 Jul 19]. doi:10.1080/08897077.2017.1356793
- Cook CL. (2017) Case Management for Linkage Encyclopedia of AIDS. Hope T, Richman DD, Stevenson M, editors. New York: Springer; 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-9610-6_453-1.
- Canidate SS, Carnaby GD, Cook CL, Cook RL. A Systematic Review of Naltrexone for Attenuating Alcohol Consumption in Women with Alcohol Use Disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2017 Mar;41(3):466-472. doi: 10.1111/acer.13313. Epub 2017 Feb 3. PubMed PMID: 28247556
- Kelso-Chichetto NE, Okafor CN, Harman JS, Canidate SS, Cook CL, Cook, RL. Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use for HIV Management in the State of Florida: Medical Monitoring Project. J Altern Complement Med. 2016 Nov;22(11):880-886. PubMed PMID: 27631385; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5116687.
- Lutz BJ, Young ME, Creasy KR, Martz C, Eisenbrandt L, Brunny JN, Cook CL. Improving Stroke Caregiver Readiness for Transition from Inpatient Rehabilitation to Home. Gerontologist. 2016 Nov 5;PubMed PMID: 27816914.
- Okafor CN, Zhou Z, Burrell LE, Kelso NE, Whitehead NE, Harman JS, Cook CL, Cook RL. Marijuana use and viral suppression in persons receiving medical care for HIV-infection. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2016 Jul 11;PubMed PMID: 27398989.
- Cook RL, Cook CL, Karki M, Weber KM, Thoma KA, Loy CM, Goparaju L, Rahim-Williams B., et al. Perceived benefits and negative consequences of alcohol consumption in women living with HIV: a qualitative study. BMC Public Health. 2016 Mar 15;16:263. PubMed PMID: 26975297; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4791930.
- Cook CL, Hall AG, Garvan CS, Kneipp SM. A Public Health Nursing Model Assists Women Receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Benefits to Identify a Usual Source of Primary Care. Care Manag J. 2015;16(4):203-7. PubMed PMID: 26673916
- Cook CL, Lutz BJ, Young ME, Hall A, Stacciarini JM. Perspectives of linkage to care among people diagnosed with HIV. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2015 Mar-Apr;26(2):110-26. PubMed PMID: 25665884.
- Broome SB, Lutz BJ, Cook CL. Becoming the Parent of a Child with Life-Threatening Food Allergies. J Pediatr Nurs. 2015 Jul-Aug;30(4):532-42. PubMed PMID: 25458106.
- Kneipp SM, Lutz BJ, Levonian C, Cook CL, Hamilton JB, Roberson D. Women’s experiences in a community-based participatory research randomized controlled trial. Qual Health Res. 2013 Jun;23(6):847-60. PubMed PMID: 23567297.
- Lewis MP, Erlen JA, Dabbs AD, Breneman K, Cook CL. The utility of the Purpose-in-Life Test in persons with AIDS. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2006 Jan-Feb;17(1):51-9. PubMed PMID: 16686084.
- Erlen JA, Mellors MP, Sereika SM, Cook CL. The use of life review to enhance quality of life of people living with AIDS: a feasibility study. Qual Life Res. 2001;10(5):453-64. PubMed PMID: 11763207.