Information for Students:
The University of Florida College of Nursing continues to follow university mandates and guidance to take precautionary measures to protect the health of faculty, staff, students and the public while continuing the delivery of courses using electronic methods. Your health and safety and that of the public are of utmost importance to us.
The university will continue the delivery of courses via online format until the end of spring semester. Summer classes (A and C) will also be delivered online. The College of Nursing faculty and UF administration are working to continue to provide the highest quality online education through our exemplary faculty and technology platforms.
- Xfinity WiFi Free For Everyone: Xfinity WiFi hotspots across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser.
- They are providing a free month for new customers and 19.95/mo for their lowest grade of service. https://www.cox.com/residential/internet.html?campcode=tnt_c2c_home_page_modal_sip_20200319
- Open wifi mentioned here: https://corporate.charter.com/newsroom/charter-to-offer-free-access-to-spectrum-broadband-and-wifi-for-60-days-for-new-K12-and-college-student-households-and-more
Open hotspot mentioned here (under community->keep Americans connected pledge): https://about.att.com/pages/COVID-19.html
Commencement and Pinning Ceremonies
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has asked that all public universities in the state of Florida reschedule on-campus commencement activities through the month of May. We are working on plans for an alternative date or method of delivery (as per the State University System directive).
At this time, the following are proposed new dates:
- July 31-August 2: Spring 202 graduating bachelor’s, master’s or specialist’s degree ceremonies
- August 7: Spring 2020 graduating doctoral candidates are invited to participate in the summer doctoral commencement ceremony (August 7 at 2 p.m.)
The College of Nursing’s Pinning Ceremony will not be held as scheduled, and an announcement regarding an alternative schedule or method of delivery will be released when more information becomes available.
Faculty and Staff
Alachua County mandated emergency “stay at home” orders effective at midnight, Monday, March 23. UF is reducing on-campus personnel to those identified as essential.
All College of Nursing faculty and staff are encouraged to work from home, provided they have completed the Alternate Work Location form. The college will hold bi-weekly virtual faculty and staff meetings that will provide updates and the opportunity to answer questions. All employees are expected to check email for the most up-to-date information from the college, the university and the state.
Beginning March 24, UF will provide employees who are unable to work on campus and unable to work from home with 10 days of paid emergency sick leave, pro-rated based on full-time equivalency. This leave will be provided to faculty, staff, OPS, postdocs and graduate assistants, and is to be used as needed by employees who are affected. Detailed guidance on how the emergency paid sick leave may be used, when needed, as well as time reporting will be provided later this week, and further details will be posted to UFHR’s Working through COVID-19 website as soon as they are available. The leave provision is granted as part of the federal Families First Coronavirus Relief Act.
There are no major changes to the research operations. Refer to Research COVID-19 Updates for information.
Archer Family Health Care
Archer Family Health Care remains open and continues to see patients. If a patient is displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or has been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed, they must call the clinic prior to coming in (352-265-2550). Patients will then be directed to next steps.