PO Box 100187
Gainesville, FL 32610-0187
Dr. Shipman has experience in both the ICU and emergency room. She spent more than 18 years working for the Alabama Department of Public Health where she specialized in perinatal outreach, prenatal care, and since 2002, emergency preparedness. She became a full-time nurse educator in August 2011 and has experience teaching in prelicensure and graduate courses. Her scholarly focus is in public health nursing with an emphasis on (a) healthcare emergency preparedness; (b) social determinants of health (SDH); and (c) health disparities.
Dr. Shipman’s research areas focus on healthcare emergency preparedness; community and rural health prevention and disparities; community disaster preparedness; poverty education; experiential learning and theory.
In addition to her professional association and organization memberships, Dr. Shipman is a member of the Society for the Advancement of Disaster Nursing (SADN), and was an Association of Community Health Nursing Educators Conference Planning Committee member in 2016 & 2017, and has served as an Abstract Review Sub-Committee member and/or co-lead from 2015-17.
- 2014 – Present/Member: Association of Community Health Nursing Educators (ACHNE)
- 2014 – Present/Member: American Public Health Association (APHA)
- 2013 – 2017/Member: Alabama League for Nursing
- 2011 – Present/Member: National League for Nursing
- 2003 – 2007/Member: Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology
- 1994 – Present/Member: Alabama Public Health Association
Area of Expertise
Public Health: Social Determinants of Health; Emergency Preparedness.
- University of Alabama – Instructional Leadership for the Nurse Educator, 2010-2014, EdD, 2014
- University of Alabama – Clinical Nurse Leader, 2006-2008, MSN, 2008
- University of Alabama – Nursing, 1989-1991, BSN, 1991
- Certification AACN/CNC – Clinical Nurse Leader, 2008-Present
- Certification ANCC – National Healthcare Disaster Professional, 2018-Present
Hitchcock, L., Peterson, D., Debiasi, L., Shipman, S., Varley, A. & White, M.L. (2018) Learning About Poverty Through Simulation: A Pilot Evaluation, Journal of Social Work Education, 54:3, 517-531, DOI: 10.1080/10437797.2018.1434427
- Shipman, S., Stanton, M., Tomlinson, S., Olivet, L., Graves, A., McKnight, D., & Speck, P. (2016). Qualitative analysis of the lived-experience of first-time nurse responders in disaster. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 47(2), 61-71. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20160120-06
Shipman, S., Stanton, M., Hankins, J., & Odom-Bartel, R. (2013). Incorporation of the clinical nurse leader in public health practice. Journal of Professional Nursing, 29(1), 4-10. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2012.04.004
Shipman, S. (2014). Emergency preparedness curriculum: Essential skills for nurses responding in disasters. Dissertation Research, ProQuest – Publication Number 3639249.
Book Chapters and Exemplars
- Shipman, S. (2018). Clinical nurse leader in public health practice exemplar [Exemplar]. In J. Harris, L. Roussel, & P. Thomas (Ed.), Initiating and Sustaining the Clinical Nurse Leader Role: A Practical Guide (3rd ed.) (pp. 283-284). Burlington, MA: Jones Bartlett Learning.
- Shipman, S., Hankins, J., Sanchez, R., & Speck, P. (2017). Introduction to child maltreatment. In Alexander, R., Faugno, D., Speck, P. (Ed), Child Abuse Quick Reference: For Health Care, Social Service, and Law Enforcement Professionals. (3rd ed) (pp. 1-10). Saint Louis, MO: STM Learning, Inc.
- Shipman, S. (2017). How to use qualitative methods for process improvement: Observation, interviews, and documentation [Exemplar]. In H. Hall & L. Roussel (Ed.), Evidence-Based Practice: An Integrated Approach to Research, Administration, and Practice (2nd ed.) (pp. 136-139). Burlington, MA: Jones Bartlett Learning.
- Shipman, S. (2017). Qualitative approaches [Exemplar]. In H. Hall & L. Roussel (Ed.), Evidence-Based Practice: An Integrated Approach to Research, Administration, and Practice (2nd ed.) (pp.139-142). Burlington, MA: Jones Bartlett Learning.