Courtney is a doctoral student in the family nurse practitioner program and co-leader of LGBTQ+ in Nursing with Dr. Sally Bethart. She is passionate about bringing awareness to LGBTQ+ health disparities and creating safe spaces for dialogue around LGBTQ+ issues in nursing.
The goal of this inclusive student-interest group is to create a safe place for all students to feel welcome and discuss professional development and leadership around LGBTQ+ issues in healthcare. This group will provide opportunities for conversation around the following aspects of nursing:
- Increasing awareness of the impact of multiple identities on health and well-being
- Fostering personal and professional growth for nursing students through open, honest and respectful conversation
- Discussing challenges and triumphs that LGBTQ+ members in nursing face
- Learning the importance of advocating for quality health care to meet the current and future needs of the LGBTQ+ community
- Learning about professional organizations that support LGBTQ+ nurses