Program Dates: May 15, 2023 – June 23, 2023
The Summer Health Professions Education Program (SHPEP) is a FREE summer enrichment program focused on improving access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions. SHPEP’s goal is to strengthen the academic proficiency and career development of students underrepresented in the health professions and prepare them for a successful application and matriculation to health professions schools.
New this year, UF SHPEP 2023 will be offered in a hybrid delivery format. During the first two weeks of the program, all events, workshops, and instruction will be held virtually. All programming during the remaining four weeks will take place in-person on the University of Florida campus in Gainesville, FL, during which participants will be provided on-campus housing and meals.
Example of academic enrichment curriculum: UF SHPEP Sample Curriculum and Calendar
UF SHPEP Program Coordinator & Contact:
- The application for the UF SHPEP 2023 cohort will open on Nov. 1, 2022 and close on Feb. 5, 2023 at 11:59pm (EST). Applications are available at the national SHPEP website
- Admissions decisions will be released on March 15, 2023.
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or above
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- New participant to SHPEP (not have previously participated in the program)
- Be a college freshman or sophomore at the time of application (possess less than 60 credits)
Others factors that are considered include that a student:
- Identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in the health professions
- Comes from economically and educationally disadvantaged backgrounds, however all applications are considered
NURSING PRESENTATION & HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER DISASTER DRILL SIMULATION
Students will rotate through a two-hour nursing presentation as part of UF SHPEP:
- Meet with nursing faculty and students
- Tour the college of nursing, including the simulation areas and classroom space
- Learn about a variety of nursing career options, as well as graduate and undergraduate educational programs available in the field
- Make connections, bond, and network with other SHPEP students
- Students will also participate in an interprofessional training exercise unique to the University of Florida SHPEP site: a mass casualty simulation disaster drill for hands-on learning experience with emergency situations
With 12 SHPEP program sites across the nation, what makes UF exceptional?
- The UF Health Science Center is the country’s only academic health center with six health-related colleges located on a single, contiguous campus.
- Distinguished faculty and community leaders
- Hands-on lab experience
- Diversity is a priority | Multicultural & Diversity Affairs at UF | UF College of Dentistry receives INSIGHT Into Diversity 2018 HEED Award
- Top tier research facilities on campus | Research at UF
- One of the most involved student campuses in the country | Student Life at UF | Florida Athletics
WHAT TO EXPECT
Students selected to attend UF SHPEP get an opportunity to gain academic enrichment while also immersing into Gator culture through: