The College of Nursing values diversity and inclusivity in enriching the learning environment and the nursing community of scholars.
The purpose of the EMBRACE program is to provide unique research and leadership opportunities for nursing students from multiple backgrounds, toward creating an inclusive environment for different viewpoints in the scholarly nursing community.
Students selected for the EMBRACE program will complete a hands-on research, quality improvement, leadership project or educational module under the guidance of a faculty mentor. In addition, EMBRACE students will be expected to participate in monthly mentoring, seminars and other activities throughout the program. The presentation of the EMBRACE project is required for receiving a certificate as an EMBRACE scholar. Applications for the EMBRACE program are due at the beginning of the fall semester. Specific dates will be posted and announced. Scholars participating in the EMBRACE program as juniors may apply to participate in the program for a second year.
- Be a College of Nursing undergraduate student (all tracks)
- Meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Self-identify as first-generation college student, OR
- Self-identify as a member of a group that is underrepresented in nursing” (e.g., IPOC, Latinx, international, male), OR
- Have experienced financial barriers such as low socioeconomic status, OR
- Have overcome challenges or obstacles that they feel gives them a unique perspective that would make them a valuable member of the program
- At least two consecutive semester’s commitment (fall, spring, and/or summer), working at least 50 hours across the scope of the project
- Meet regularly with the faculty mentor
- Complete a research, quality improvement, leadership or educational project with a faculty mentor
- Actively participate in monthly mentoring and seminars throughout the semester
Program outcomes (examples)
- Present in a conference
- Write a publishable paper
- Develop a scholarly community project
- Develop a scholarly leadership project
- Develop a service learning project
Applicants must submit all of the following information
- Completed data form, which includes the following:
- What are the reasons you want to be part of this program?
- What contributions you bring to this program (e.g. leadership experience?)
- Participation in a selection interview