Nearly 400 students, faculty, clinicians and health care leaders ensured the UF College of Nursing’s first-ever Nursing Research Summit was a resounding success April 13. For the first time, the College of Nursing collaborated with its academic partners at UF Health Shands and the Malcolm Randall VA Medical Center to show case each institution’s research enterprise in the form of a Nursing Research Summit.
The 2018 Nursing Research Summit and Malasanos Lectureship featured two poster-viewing sessions, a keynote speaker, a dementia simulation experience in the College of Nursing’s Resource Center, e-poster presentations, and both a research and leadership panel to wrap up the day.
Sandra Dunbar, R.N., Ph.D., FAAN, FAHA, FPCNA, the Charles Howard Candler Professor of Cardiovascular Nursing and senior associate dean for academic advancement at Emory University School of Nursing, served as the Malasanos Lecturer.
Dunbar is a cardiovascular nurse researcher and educator whose program of research focuses on self-management and psychosocial responses to serious cardiac illness, and her keynote addressed, ‘Lessons Learned from Translational Research with Complex Health Problems.’
The UF College of Nursing handed out poster awards in four different categories: undergraduate B.S.N., graduate D.N.P., graduate Ph.D. and professional, while UF Nursing’s Brian Peach and Khulud Abudawood were recognized with two prestigious awards – the Lois Knowles Award for Excellence in Gerontological Nursing and the Stechmiller Ph.D. Award, respectively.
- First Prize: David Gonzalez | Declining Immunization Rates in Children at Archer Family Health Care | Gonzalez, David, BSN Student; Denise Schentrup, DNP, ARNP, BC
- Second Prize: Ava Long | Changes in Empathy in Senior Nursing Students after a Palliative Care Immersion Experience | Long, Ava, BSN Student; Janelle Fauni, Tiffani Famighetti, Caitlin Lach, Ruth Peebles, Lucille Schneider, Ashley Smith, Susan Bluck, Ann Horgas, PhD, RN, FAAN; Toni Glover, PhD, GNP-BC, FNP-BC, CPE
- First Prize: Tifani Fivecoat (eposter) | Transcutaneous Bilirubin Monitoring in Term and Late Preterm NICU Patients | Fivecoat, Tifani, DNP Student; Jaqueline Hoffman, DNP, ARNP, NNP-BC, Denise Schentrup, DNP, ARNP, BC, UF College of Nursing
- First Prize: Katelynd Morgan | Neonatal Palliative and End-of-Life Care Protocol | Morgan, Katelynd, DNP Student; Jacqueline Hoffman, DNP, ARNP; Denise Schentrup, DNP, MSN, ARNP
- Second Prize: Chelsea Melville | Examining the Major Contributing Factors to Blood product Wastage | Melville, Chelsea, DNP Student; Cynthia Figueroa, PhD, ARNP
- First Prize: Anastasiya Ferrell (eposter) | Secondary Analysis of 2014-2015 E-Cigarette Trends among Floridian Minors | Ferrell, Anastasiya, PhD Student; Jennifer Harrison Elder, PhD, RN, FAAN, UF College of Nursing; Linda G. Haddad, PhD, RN, FAAN, University of North Carolina Wilmington School of Nursing; Christa L. Cook, PhD, MSN, RN, APHN-BC, UF College of Nursing; Cynthia Garvan, PhD, UF College of Medicine; Ramzi Salloum, PhD, UF College of Medicine
- Second Prize: Marion Bendixen (eposter) | Early Lactation Success in Pump-Dependent Mothers of Critically Ill Infants | Bendixen, Marion, PhD Student; Taylor Bell UFNS; Angelique Empinado UFNS; Michael Weaver, PhD, RN, FAAN; Leslie Parker, PhD, NNP-BC, FAAN, UF College of Nursing
- First Prize: Viona Joseph | Forming Equitable Patient Care Assignments to Reduce Adverse Events | Joseph, Viona, BSN, Malcom Randall VA Medical Center
- First Prize: Ashley Vernet | Best Practice for Monitoring Hospitalized Patients who are Prescribed Patient-Controlled Analgesia’s (PCAs) | Vernet, Ashley, BSN, Malcom Randall VA Medical Center
- Second Prize: Marcela Cojulun (eposter) | Increasing Hand Hygiene Compliance in Acute Mental Health Settings | Cojulun, Marcela, BSN, Malcom Randall VA Medical Center
- Second Prize: Samvit Iyer | Breaking Down the Barriers to Healthy Lifestyles for American Indians with Type 2 Diabetes: Preliminary Findings from a Focus Group Study | Iyer, Samvit, UF College of Agriculture and Life Sciences; Lisa Scarton, PhD, RN, College of Nursing; LaToya O’Neal, PhD, IFAS; Diana J. Wilkie, PhD, RN, FAAN, College of Nursing
Stechmiller PhD Award: Khulud Abudawood
Lois Knowles Award for Excellence in Gerontological Nursing: Brian Peach