2022 NP Week | DNP Gator Nurse Alumna Feature

For 2022 NP Week, AANP has set the following theme: NPs: Rising to meet the needs of patients. For more than half a century, NPs have been leading the charge to reduce health disparities and ensure that high-quality, person-centered health care is readily accessible to people in communities nationwide. NPs continue rising to meet the needs of patients — by pursuing the advanced education and clinical training required to become an NP, by completing countless hours of continuing education (CE) throughout their careers and by increasing patients’ access to quality care. NPs practice in primary, acute, specialty and long-term care settings; via telehealth; and in mobile clinics — meeting patients where the need is greatest. With a focus on health maintenance and disease prevention, NPs play a key role in filling the growing demand for chronic, mental health and primary care. This NP Week, we join AANP with a grateful nation in recognizing NPs for their leadership, putting the health of patients ahead of their own and rising to meet the needs patients.

In honor of this celebration, we are highlighting alumni from our DNP program, ranked #1 in Florida, in hopes of inspiring the next generation of NPs.

KATIE DIAMOND,
DNP, APRN, ANP-BC, CDCES, BC-ADM

Katie Diamond (DNP 2022) shares what it means to be an NP in honor of NP Week:

The theme for NP week this year is: Rising to meet the needs of patients. Can you share a bit about your role as a nurse practitioner and how you personally rise to meet the needs of your patients?

Nurse practitioners are such great advocates for their patients. I work primarily with older adults with a multitude of complex needs. Meeting their medical needs often requires addressing social issues such as food insecurity and isolation first. I work in a facility supported by the Martin County Council on Aging where I can easily refer patients to services such as Meals on Wheels and social workers. Meeting the needs of my patients entails a holistic assessment and leaning on a multidisciplinary team to assist them in reaching optimal health.

In particular, can you share a little more about your coffee chats?

While completing my DNP degree at UF, I started a monthly “Coffee with Katie” free program at our facility. During this hour-long morning program, patients and other community members gather and sip coffee to learn about different health topics in an informal way. Topics have included cancer screenings, supplements, vaccines, and where to access accurate health information. The program’s goal is to empower attendees to take control of their health. I have truly enjoyed providing health information in this format and would encourage all nurse practitioners to reach out to educate community members as they are hungry for accurate health information!

What inspires you as an NP?

My patients inspire me. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing patients make progress despite life adversity to reach health goals. So much of what I do is listening and encouraging them along their journey and they teach me so much about myself in the process. I am so grateful that patients trust me with their care and I will honor that trust by striving to be the best NP I can be through educational pursuits.

What does it mean to be a Gator Nurse?

Gator nurses can do ANYTHING. I feel like the UF College of Nursing gave me the confidence to be a leader in my field and always advocate for my patients. I will always be grateful to my fellow CON students and professors that supported me through my journey.